Welcome, Guest
  • Page:

TOPIC: Top 10 academic programs?

Top 10 academic programs? 4 months 3 days ago #35511

Long time orthogate lurker here, current med student who will be applying to residency programs next year. My question for you is as follows:

In your opinion, what are the top 10 programs for those interested in a career in academic orthopedic surgery? Which names carry the most weight in the ortho community?

I am aware that Doximity ranks programs by reputation, however I have heard from multiple people that their ratings system is flawed (no idea how). Anyway, I have brought this question up with multiple faculty members and residents at my home institution and received variable answers. I made a "top 10" based on the programs that seem to consistently be mentioned:

1. HSS
2. Mayo
3. Iowa
4. Harvard
5. Wash U
6. UCSF
7. Rush
8. NYU
9. Duke
10. Jefferson

For those who recently went through the app process and matched, do you agree with this list? Any glaring omissions? I know each applicant is unique and chooses where to train based a number of very personal factors (operative experience, didactics, location, faculty, spouse, resident camaraderie, research, etc.). For this reason, it may be difficult to come up with a "top 10" list that everyone agrees with, so I am only asking to rank programs based on their ability to set a resident up for an academic career. Thanks everybody.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Top 10 academic programs? 4 months 2 days ago #35512

Last Edit: 4 months 1 day ago by Fred_Flinstone. Reason: Deleting post

Top 10 academic programs? 4 months 2 days ago #35514

• cwwm
Agree with the above... rankings are all subjective and honestly, any of the top programs can get you where you want academically provided you do well enough in residency. Regardless, here's my top 10 based off of what I saw during my aways and during the interview trail (take it with a grain of salt):

1. HSS
2. NYU
3. Harvard
4. Mayo
5. Rush
6. Wash U
7. Iowa
8. UCSF
9. UW
10. Duke

This is based on fellowship placements, research opportunities, faculty reputation, program leadership reputation, and also which programs seem to be constantly making improvements vs staying stagnant or actually regressing
Last Edit: 4 months 2 days ago by cwwm.

Top 10 academic programs? 4 months 1 day ago #35520

Nice thread! I also agree with the above lists. The following is my top 10 based on fellowship match, leadership/faculty, presence of big names, research output, etc.

1. HSS
2. Rush
3. Wash U
4. Mayo
5. Harvard
6. Jefferson
7. Iowa
8. NYU
9. UCSF
10. Duke

This order may change when you consider specific sub-specialties, but these 10 are undoubtedly firmly entrenched in tier 1. Just 1 man's opinion, but helpful to gather as many as possible in eventually forming your own list.

Top 10 academic programs? 4 months 1 day ago #35521

This makes for interesting discussion but remember that a strong "academic program" doesn't always translate to a strong resident experience.

Most of the academic powerhouses have great resources available and will have a great name attached to your diploma but there are a lot of people with different agendas that can get between you and your goals (i.e. clinical fellows, research staff, administrators).

I interviewed at a number of these programs and am a resident at one of the programs on this list and am happy with my decision but I think the academic pedigree of your residency program is not necessarily prohibitive of a career in academic orthopaedics. You could train at a community place, do some research, land a fellowship at an academic center, and launch an academic career with those contacts. Also keep in mind that <10% of physicians are actually in academics, even at many of these programs.

Bottom line don't marry yourself to the idea you need to go to one of these places.

Top 10 academic programs? 4 months 8 hours ago #35523

OP, good question. I'll save you the "rankings don't matter" speech because it's clear you understand that and your question stems mostly from curiosity. As someone who recently went through the process, here is my list based on impressions I got from the trail:

1. HSS
2. Mayo
3. Rush
4. NYU
5. Harvard
6. WashU
7. Jefferson
8. UCSF
9. Iowa
10. Carolinas

Honorable Mention: Duke, Stanford, Emory, Utah

Just my $0.02
  • Page:
Moderators: christian, OrthoDoc