recommendation for good digital camera in the OR and clinic

• Visitor
  • Visitor
18 years 4 months ago - 18 years 4 months ago #4068 by
Replied by on topic For Orthopaedics the 2 most
For Orthopaedics the 2 most important things are a good macro lens for taking closeups int he OR as well single frame MRI's, and a swivel lens for those awkward shots in the OR. These 2 features are found in the Nikon Coolpix cameras. The coolpix 5400 is a 5 Megapixle and not very pocket sized. The Coolpix SQ is sleek pocket sized but is only 3 megs (which is more than you really need). The SQ is about $275.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
18 years 4 months ago - 18 years 4 months ago #4085 by
Replied by on topic I have taken Macro Photos
I have taken Macro Photos with just about every digital camera and I would recommend the Nikon Coolpix 5700. Nikon makes some of the best lenses for cameras and its really the quality of the lens that effects resolution. Don't get sucked into the megapixel war. The most common complaints with this camera is a slow autofocus and a somewhat pinker hue to images. No camera is going to be able to do everything.

If you are a serious amateur, I would recommend an SLR type digital with a Macro Speedlight. However, the coolpix is easy to use for the novice who might be taking pictures of the surgical site while you are scrubbed in.

Sony has a new 8 megapixel camera with a Carl Zeiss lens and 5 point autofocus. Probably not as good of a lens but I will let you know once I can get my hands on one to take some pictures.

Wait till march or april to purchase a new nikon. The new models will be out then.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
18 years 4 months ago - 18 years 4 months ago #4089 by
Replied by on topic I have a Canon S230
I have a Canon S230 and have been pleased. The reason I went with this camera is that it is small and has reasonable resolution. I would recommend getting a camera that is affordable ($300-$400 at the most) and small (if you don't have it with you, you can't take pictures).

Keep in mind, you are not going to print an 11x15 framed print for your wall of a mangled hand. You are taking pictures for talks and documenting your residency experiences so don't get caught up in aiming for 5+ megapixels.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
18 years 1 month ago - 18 years 1 month ago #4710 by
Replied by on topic i am currently using a
i am currently using a nikon coolpix 2500.. Its quite old, have had it for the past 2 years though..

I would not recommend it for orthopods as .. most of the time, the pictures are probably not taken by the owner.. When u are doing an interesting case and there is something you want to document, usuall it would be the non scrubbed personel taking the pic

most of the time.. nobody else besides the owner will know how to use the coolpixs' swivel lens!!!

i have a hard time getting people o take shots of the op when i am scrubbed up!!

henceforth.. get a camera which is small., pocket sized, so you can carry it when you are on call.. so u can carry it everywhere, about 4.0 megapixel.. important .. make sure it has rechargable batteries.. the mobile phone type of li-ion flat batteries.. this is important or you will find that you spend all your money on aa batteries.

Best brands to get would be canon or olympus..nikon coolpixes have the swivel lens problem.. kodak is by far the most crappy notable brand.. all other unknown brands are crap..

don't worry if your picture is 4.0 megapixel.. you can always reduce the file size with simple programs lke acdsee.. Bigger is better.. you can reduce the filesize for presenations.. and you can use full 4.0 megapixels to print beautiful pictures.

you can also consider the new siemens s65 camera phone which comes with a 1.3 megapixel camera.. good enuff to document injuries..

give u guys a link

www.club-siemens.net/forum/viewthread.php?tid=33882

• Visitor
  • Visitor
16 years 10 months ago - 16 years 10 months ago #6757 by
Replied by on topic i recommend the casio line
i recommend the casio line of cameras. they are not very expensive and mine has out performed my friends digital cameras. one of their selling points is that it takes the picture faster than other DC's and i think it is no joke. plus they are very small.

Moderators: christianOrthoDoc