recommendation for good digital camera in the OR and clinic

• podling
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
19 years 1 week ago - 19 years 1 week ago #26131 by podling
i'm currently looking for a camera to doccument interesting cases. in particular, i'd like one that can take pictures of films and decent close-ups in the OR and if possible still be pocket sized and under $700. i'm curious as to which cameras others are using for these purposes and would appreciate any recommendations. thanks

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
19 years 3 days ago - 19 years 3 days ago #3044 by
Replied by on topic digital camera
I was looking for a digital camera over the weekend for the same use and I learned that it's good to buy a camera with a stainless steel body rather than a plastic one because the former is weather (and thus body fluid) proof according to the Best Buy salesman. One such camera is the Canon PowerShot S400 which is around $500. It's a nice small size, 4.0 mega pixels, rechargeable battery, weather proof, and good zoom (3x optical and I think 4x digital). It comes with a 32mb memory card (holds about 9 pics at the highest resolution) but a 128 mb card is really cheap on www.buy.com (like $19). The camera also records live video (I think most of 'em do this). If you buy any digital camera, insist to the store to give you a free "digital camera kit" which includes a bag, tripod, extra memory card, etc.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
19 years 3 days ago - 19 years 3 days ago #3045 by
Replied by on topic I recently bought a Sony
I recently bought a Sony Cybershot 4.0 megapixel camera ($500). It takes really excellent resolution shots of radiographs and MRIs on a lightboard as well as intraop photos. The only drawback is a limited optical zoom (3x). Dig zoom takes you to 6x but I've found resolution drops with that. It's really small, and good for carrying around. Video capability is strong also. I'd get the sony case with it too, it's expensive ($50) but sturdy and useful if you carry it around with you all the time.

Another one that's good is the Nikon CoolPix. Its major advantage is the swiveling which allows you to take photos from awkward angles much more easily than with a regular camera like the Sony or the Canon. But, it's much bigger than either of those two cameras also, so not as easy to lug around all the time.

Bledsoe

• Visitor
  • Visitor
19 years 1 day ago - 19 years 1 day ago #3049 by
Replied by on topic i doubt this helps, but
i doubt this helps, but i've noticed most attendings with nikon coolpix.
i know there are diff ones buts seems to be the pop brand. not very small though. the only pro photog i talked to said nikon
you might want to try a dig phot forum. scary how much some of these guys know.
things to consider. what type printer do you have. not that important but some times you can connect the camera directly.
2 megapix is the min std resolution
optical zoom is the important one. dig is just a magnification function
you'll prob want some kind of macro function for tight close ups.
if you can wait and arent stuck on a partic camera, get someone to go walmart the day after thanksgiving. i got a $300 kodak for $150. should have bought 2 or 3.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
18 years 11 months ago - 18 years 11 months ago #3060 by
Replied by on topic the canon digital ELPH series
the canon digital ELPH series are good b/c they are quite small yet sturdy. I have a 2 megapixel one and i love it and it gives me plenty of quality, although a 4 megapixel one would be nice also. You could easily get either in the price range you are talking about

• Visitor
  • Visitor
18 years 8 months ago - 18 years 8 months ago #3310 by
Replied by on topic The Sony DSC v1 has
The Sony DSC v1 has every possible option that you could want, 5 MP, zoom capability for MPEGS ( vy nice for Grand Rounds presentations), etc, etc, etc. all for under $600. ( Got mine for $550 )

Moderators: christianOrthoDoc