Road Bikes

• ajq2009
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
11 years 10 months ago - 11 years 10 months ago #29371 by ajq2009
Road Bikes was created by ajq2009
I'm a novice to the world of road biking. After years of deliberation, I've decided to bite the bullet and get into the sport. Knowing that this is a popular sport among orthopaedic surgeons, I thought I'd post some inquiries. If you have any input, I'd love to hear it.

Right now, I'm budgeting roughly $1200-1500 for a bike (although I'm thinking of going higher, if need be, for the right bike.) I'm 6'1, weight 205 lbs and am looking to use the bike initially as a weekend warrior, but may consider racing at some point. What bikes would you recommend? I know its a broad question, but it's a start.

I have tested about 10 bikes, and found 2 I liked a lot. One is a Felt Z45; it came out in 2009, and is all carbon. I don't know much about components yet, so I didn't even ask what was on the bike. The price is $1500. The other bike I tried today was a BH Speedrom-- loved it! But I'm debating whether the difference between the speedrom and Z45 (they felt very similar to me) is worth the additional $800.00. Any toughts from any experienced road bikers out there?

Thanks.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
11 years 10 months ago - 11 years 10 months ago #15512 by
Replied by on topic most important is fit
whatever you do make sure the bike fits you well. most shops can help with this. you can always upgrade the components. Felt makes some good bikes. have fun.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
11 years 1 month ago - 11 years 1 month ago #18480 by
Replied by on topic road bike
A Carbon frame will take up more of the shock from the road, and be much more comfortable on longer rides (more than an hour). You might want to invest another $150 for a bike fit, which the bike shop might be able to do for you and then exchange new/unused components (seat, bar stems, handle bars, etc) until the bike fit is great. This is probably money well spent. I would also save some $$ for great cycling bib shorts (I like ASSOS, but Pearl Izumi upper end also) and you will thank me later.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
10 years 11 months ago - 10 years 11 months ago #18967 by
Replied by on topic what you need is an
what you need is an aluminum frame roadie with shimano 105 or tiagra components. i'd go with the schwinn enligthtened frame. they are fairly cheap ($900-1100 depending on the fork) and are just right for the kind of riding you'll be doing.

to be frank, you don't even need that. but it will make you fit in with the rest of the gang. i rode from tampa, fl to newark, nj in 2 weeks (~1450 mi)on a schwinn LeTour III 1978 steel frame. I had less breakdowns and made better time than the two guys with me on a felt and a litespeed.

all carbon and titanium frames are expensive and yeild nearly nil in terms of comfort or speed for a run of the mill biker. also, do not let someone convince you that you need your bike "fitted". thats the equivalent of fitted ski boots or repair warranties on plasma tvs.

Moderators: christianOrthoDoc