Welcome, Guest

TOPIC: General orthopedics

General orthopedics 3 months 3 weeks ago #36059

• Jboni12
Hey, I'm a PGY3 and wanting to hear from some generalist (or at least people who know them) about their experiences in general orthopedics. I plan to work in a smaller community and enjoy doing a bit of everything so am drifting towards general, but my main fear is ending up as a dumping ground for crappy cases my partners don't want (I&Ds, hardware removals, ex-fixes, etc.). Also, I'll be aiming for a fairly narrow geographic reason so the kids don't have to change schools and such. I haven't been able to find much discussion on fellowship vs no fellowship for ortho, so any input is appreciated.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

General orthopedics 3 months 6 days ago #36067

• sam212
I trained at a community program with a lot of general orthopedics and contemplated doing general ortho. I eventually decided, with resentment, to give in and do a fellowship. Fellowship does open more doors and is basically a necessity in competitive market. You'd be hard pressed to find any jobs without a fellowship in desirable locations. However, general ortho is still thriving in small towns, if that's where you aspire to be. You''ll actually make more money being a generalist due to minimal competition.

General orthopedics 2 months 3 weeks ago #36080

• OrthoDoc
  • Thank you received: 3
Most general guys I know are the opposite of dumping ground. They do the easy straight forward ortho cases and give the hard complex cases away to their partners.

There are plenty of jobs for general guys in great locations. Depends upon what you consider "desirable".
Last Edit: 2 months 3 weeks ago by OrthoDoc.
Moderators: christian, OrthoDoc