Welcome, Guest

TOPIC: IMG with low Step 1 but Nature publication

IMG with low Step 1 but Nature publication 2 weeks 2 days ago #35674

• abuamerw
I am looking at applying for Ortho residency in next year's or the following match. I just graduated from a Caribbean medical school (one of the big well known ones) in November of 2016. I got a 220 on Step 1 and a 233 on Step 2CK with a first pass on both (had some issues come up during testing times which affected my scores). I wonder if anyone can help me out with some advice on how to make this happen. I am well aware my scores and school will make things infinitely harder but I don't plan on giving up on this.

Over the last year, I worked in a bone and endocrinology lab at Mount Sinai Hospital in NYC and published a paper in the journal Nature in June 2017. I recently left Mount Sinai and started a clinical research position at Washington University in Saint Louis and hope to publish multiple papers in JBJS soon as well as present at AAOS. I am well known by some of the attendings at WashU and although I can get glowing LoRs, I fear that my scores and medical school preclude me from even being considered by such a prestigious program. I am wondering if anyone has any ideas to help me attain my goal. Any and all advice is appreciated.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

IMG with low Step 1 but Nature publication 2 weeks 1 day ago #35677

• bruins08
  • Thank you received: 1
1) Continue to publish research aggressively for the next 4+ years in JBJS, JoA, JoT, etc.

2) Match at Cleveland Clinic

IMG with low Step 1 but Nature publication 1 week 5 days ago #35681

• 321ortho
Did I miss something...why Cleveland Clinic?

Are they friendly toward publication-heavy residency apps?

IMG with low Step 1 but Nature publication 1 week 5 days ago #35682

If you're an IMG, look into the current chairman, take note of people who have been coauthors on his "several" papers in those above mentioned journals (and maybe a "few" more) over the past 6 years, and see if any of them happen to be Ortho residents.
Last Edit: 1 week 5 days ago by Bluenation.
Moderators: christian, OrthoDoc