Welcome, Guest

TOPIC: Standardized Letter

Standardized Letter 2 years 1 week ago #35578

ERAS has a space mentioning the standardized letter as below:

"The American Orthopaedic Association’s Council of Orthopaedic Residency Directors (CORD) program introduced a Standardized Letter of Recommendation (SLOR) form for applicants to apply to Orthopaedics. Applicants must add the ERAS letter ID to the form before sending it to their letter author."

Does anyone know if this is to be used for all orthopaedic letters of recommendation or just for the few that require it specifically on their website (vanderbilt, washington, etc)? I know that some schools used to have a older version of this form.

Thanks!
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Standardized Letter 2 years 5 days ago #35585

• AylaM
Yeah i'm pretty confused as to what to do, do we ask our letter writers to fill this one, as well as another one and upload them separately? So that we send the standardized ones to the ones that need it and the regular ones for the other programs?

Standardized Letter 1 year 11 months ago #35619

Bump. I have the same questions.

Standardized Letter 1 year 9 months ago #35653

• Stork
Most programs are accepting either the AOA CORD standardized letter OR a traditional LOR this year. The programs that traditionally required the supplemental eval (Wash U, Vandy, Brown, UW, etc) seem to be mixed on whether they are requiring the new AOA letter or still accepting the old supp eval form. The only program that I have heard REQUIRING the new AOA letter is UW. Many program websites have updated info on this in their "How to Apply" tab re the new AOA SLOR. Regardless, its the first year that this is being rolled out, so I highly doubt that any program will be hard line on this.

The idea behind this new standardized letter is to make the process easier for both the applicant and the letter writers. If the writer can skip all the fluff about rating/ranking you and just check boxes and then add a personal blurb at the end, they are much more likely to be enthusiastic about writing your letter.

Some of my writers only filled out the AOA form w/o attaching a "Traditional" letter and some filled out the AOA form and attached a traditional text letter. I sent AOA form to all programs regardless of whether they do/did require it.
Moderators: christian, OrthoDoc