MS4 App Advice

More
4 years 10 months ago #35566 by RequiredField
MS4 App Advice was created by RequiredField
Greetings all, I have found this forum to be a great resource so thanks to all contributors. As an MS4 with ERAS open, I am searching for a bit of advice. I have read that many ortho hopeful students are now applying to anywhere between 50-80 programs. I'm looking for input on my chances and advice on how many programs to apply to based upon my application.

S1: 249
S2: 258
Clerkships: honors on all
Jr AOA: no; eligible for senior
School: non-top 40 NIH; small southern MD school with no home ortho program
Research: 4 submissions (all ortho, unlikely to be published by the Fall), 1 publication (non-ortho), 2 oral presentations (1 ortho), 2 poster presentations (1 ortho)

I do have 3 away rotations lined up beginning in August. Thanks and good luck to all!

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
4 years 10 months ago #35574 by Wild20
Replied by Wild20 on topic MS4 App Advice
Application looks solid at first glance. Your main hindrance may be that lack of a home program. I did not have a home program and I thought it made getting good LOR from rotations dicey. They will likely write you one if you ask but if you only work with them for a week, the letter they write will be very weak. Sounds like you have worked with and ortho guy already to do your research. Might want to ask them to write you a letter and include it with 1-2 from aways. 60-80 applications sounds like a reasonable number. Good luck.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Moderators: christianOrthoDoc