Didnt Match- Advice

More
4 years 3 months ago #35381 by nr23
Didnt Match- Advice was created by nr23
So I didn't match, and I'm pretty surprised to be honest.

I had 24 interview invites, went on 13 due to schedule conflicts and wanting to make sure to make the night-before socials to really get to know people.

Stats:

250 step 1
259 step 2
All honors 3rd year
Ranked in top 5% of class
AOA
Gold Humanism
3 pubs, 1 as first author

I saw my LOR and they were all solid.

I'm honestly pretty floored and have no clue what happened. I got a few interviews at the big "Top 5" places, got interviews in my state all over, and then a bunch of mid range ones. I kind of think that I must have been one of those "fall through the cracks" cases where I didn't impress the big names enough and didn't either show enough to the smaller programs, or they assumed I'd go elsewhere.

My big question: Prelim year. My plan is to apply to a bunch and try to SOAP into a prelim place with an ortho program. I know it won't be easy, but does anyone with experience in that mind chiming in? I think I should still be able to get interviews next year with my scores and stuff, but please let me know any advice you have.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 years 3 months ago #35382 by jjbonesd
Replied by jjbonesd on topic Didnt Match- Advice
Do you mind posting the list of unfilled residency programs?

More
4 years 3 months ago #35384 by wreckem
Replied by wreckem on topic Didnt Match- Advice
I have the exact same app pretty much and went on 16 interviews and didn't match. Not sure what to do now either.

Prelim vs research year, what are the advantages and disadvantages?

More
4 years 3 months ago #35385 by Topper34
Replied by Topper34 on topic Didnt Match- Advice
Do either of you have any interest in CT surgery? Somebody in your shoes will have a unique opportunity to scramble into one of the most competitive programs in the country. I've got to think that your application(s) will be stronger than most M4s who missed on both CT surg and gen surg. Columbia might be interested in talking to you this week...

Just wanted to throw it out there

More
4 years 3 months ago #35391 by pucksandbones
Replied by pucksandbones on topic Didnt Match- Advice
I would 100% recommend doing a research year based on what I have heard/seen. By doing a prelim year you sort of pigeon-hole yourself in to that program and hope the ortho program there likes you. Also, your application essentially doesn't change by going the prelim route...other than one more person saying you work hard and you are now applying as having already graduated instead of a US Senior.

The research year will open doors at that program, and hopefully many others by bolstering your research stats and having the research doc make calls for you. You also can delay graduation from your school so you are still applying as a US Senior. Hopefully they will help you with interview answers stand out as well, since that probably played a part in not matching based on what you are saying.

More
4 years 3 months ago #35392 by bladerunner101
Replied by bladerunner101 on topic Didnt Match- Advice
+1 for research year for your specific scenario. agree about what pucksandbones said.

Moderators: christianOrthoDoc