Research fellowships and carribean grads

More
5 years 11 months ago #34269 by Rossguy
I know what you're all thinking but this isn't a "do I have a chance" thread

For some background I'm a soon to be Ross grad with a 254 step 1 and 3.95 gpa. I have a host of ec including tutoring, health fairs etc

Ortho is a field that's captivated me since my surgery rotation and against all advice I just can't get over it

I was wondering on what everyone's take was about these one to two year research fellowships. Does anyone know if IMGs tend to fare well afterwards? Are these a good option or do residency program directors view being out of school so long as a red flag?

Whats the risk/benefit of applying to this and forgoing the match next year? Don't hold back either I can take cold hard truths

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
5 years 11 months ago #34272 by benchdaily
I know a few people who did years and matched the next year (after matching unsuccessfully during 4th year). I also know of at least 2 stories where it took 2+ years, with one of the guys doing I believe 1 research and 2 prelim years or something like that.

The outlook was never great for anyone trying to match ortho from the caribbean and with how competitive it seems things are getting and the new schools that have opened up, it iwll likely only be even harder. Anything, in theory, is possible. However, realize you may be in for a long path.

Not sure that this is necessarily truth, but when looking for research years, I'd advise not going to one of the big name places who always advertise here because they will never take you afterwards even if you publish 20 papers for them, unfortunately. It would serve you better (if you go that route) to find a smaller program that has mostly kids from lower - mid-tier US allo schools so that you can put in a lot of work there, get to know the faculty in the process, and actually have a small chance of matching afterwards, instead of a 0% chance.

More
5 years 11 months ago #34280 by Wild20
I agree with basically everything bench has said. It will be very hard to match ortho right out of and international or Caribbean med school. You should plan for not matching right out and a research year is probably the best way to increase your chances

More
5 years 7 months ago #34370 by Ravenbones44
I know of one person who was able to get in on his second round of applications, but his step score was not as high as yours. I would think your step 1 score puts you in decent position to get your foot in the door at places.

Moderators: christianOrthoDoc