Welcome, Guest

TOPIC: Advice for picking an away

Advice for picking an away 3 years 1 week ago #34013

I have heard that you should plan on doing an away at the institution you would like to be at and I am trying to decide now where I would like to apply for externships. My trouble is that I fear I may waste time rotating at a program that is out of my league. Do y'all think that would be a huge mistake? Should I do aways only at programs that I know are in my range?

As it stands, I was thinking about applying to NYU for an away, but I think I would be lucky to get in there.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Advice for picking an away 3 years 1 week ago #34016

You need to provide some stats for anyone to give you relevant/personalized advice.

Advice for picking an away 3 years 1 week ago #34017

Good point. Here's my breakdown:

MS3 at a top 20 MD school, taking a year off for basic science research.

Preclinical: All passes (school only does P/F). AOA released until after match so no impact.

Step 1: 255

Clinical: HP in Surgery and Medicine, Honors in everything else. All cores taken.

Research:
- 2 first author basic science papers (one ortho, one non-ortho)
- 6 poster presentations (2 ortho-related, all basic science)
- 1 oral presentation (non-ortho basic science)
- Currently working on an ortho clinical project that may be ready for submission by interview time.

I am hoping to match somewhere in the Northeast, NYC preferably. What would be good away options for me? Right now I have NYU, Tufts, Thomas Jefferson, U Penn, Hopkins, NY Presbyterian as my tops. HSS and Harvard would be great but I hear it is hard to stand out at those programs on an away.

Advice for picking an away 3 years 1 week ago #34018

You have a good pedigree, step 1, and research background. Clincal grades are good, but not great. Sounds like you want a place with strong basic science research.

In the northeast, I think you should consider Penn, NYU, and Brown. All 3 have strong clinical experiences as well as abundant basic science research resources. You may want to consider the 6-year research tracks at NYU and Penn. Jeff is mostly clinical outcomes research. Tufts is not very research oriented. Columbia is probably somewhere in the middle, but I think the operative experience here is not as good as some of the other places I mentioned already. If you are willing to go outside of the northeast, think about Hopkins, Pittsburgh, and WashU. Again, good clinical and basic science research experiences.

Advice for picking an away 3 years 1 week ago #34019

I have similar stats to AspiringOrthoSurg and am wondering if the HP in Surgery (I have Honors in Medicine) essentially mandates a year of research if I want to match at a mid-tier program?
Last Edit: 3 years 1 week ago by McGarnagle.

Advice for picking an away 3 years 1 week ago #34020

absolutely not. i know students who have matched with HP in surgery. just be sure to rotate smartly and apply broadly. it might get you screened out as a non-rotator at upper-tier programs, but it is by no means a dealbreaker.
Moderators: christian, OrthoDoc