ortho chances, current MS3

More
6 years 10 months ago #32863 by 715
Just received my step 1 score today, and I'm pretty disappointed... Thinking whether I should change my path :(

Step 1 = 237

Top 20 US medical school

2 first author papers. 6 other publications with my name on it so far.

Can anyone give me a realistic advice? I am really lost.. What should I do?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
6 years 10 months ago #32867 by blaqmamba
You have a pretty good research background. Do well during 3rd year and do an away (or two) at mid to lower-tier programs. Take step2 earlier rather than later. Apply broadly. I'd say if you do all of the above, you should be able to match somewhere. Dual applying is a personal choice but you'll need to prepare extra letters and a personal statement, so plan ahead if that's the road you want to take.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 715

More
6 years 10 months ago #32868 by 715
Replied by 715 on topic ortho chances, current MS3
What are some mid low tier programs?
Should I go by the doximity ranking?

More
6 years 10 months ago #32871 by butterfingerbbs
i don't think you should limit yourself to low/mid tier programs. you go to a top 20 medical school, which counts for something at the top tier orthopedics programs. i know of a few residents at consensus top ortho programs with step 1 scores in the 230s. they all went to top medical schools. bottom line is apply broadly.

More
6 years 9 months ago #32894 by Wild20
Replied by Wild20 on topic ortho chances, current MS3
Ortho is competitive but is not prohibitively so. Personally had 231/252 and matched. as long as you continue to perform well (clinicals and Step2) you will be a better applicant than I (way better research). Top tier programs may think that score is low but if you really want to go to one, you should apply but also apply to non-top tier programs (advice I'd give to any applicant, regardless of how high scores are). Keep at it, and good luck!

Moderators: christianOrthoDoc