Prior misdemeanor and upcoming application

More
6 years 6 months ago - 6 years 6 months ago #32730 by AP23
Hello,

I am an MS3 going to a mid-tier school seeking advice. I am Navy student and I will be applying to both military and civilian residencies.

I have a prior misdemeanor for driving on a suspended license in 2009. At the time, I failed to make payments on a speeding ticket, so they suspended my license without a warning. I got pulled over one day because my tail light was out and thats how I got the misdemeanor. I payed the outstanding fine and the issue was resolved. However, misdemeanor still shows up on my background check.
Last edit: 6 years 6 months ago by AP23. Reason: too much personal information

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 6 months ago - 6 years 6 months ago #32731 by KPMegaMan
Tough situation. It is easy to over think the situation. Your professionalism and work ethic will speak for itself when it comes time for application season. As a resident with previous history, I have been in your shoes before. Continue to strive for success. This is America, the country of second chances. In my personal opinion your situation would not eliminate you from the applicant pool. Although, you may have some hoops to jump through. And just a side note, you would be floored if you knew how many people in the military (Army specially b/c that is based on what I know) have prior records and I am talking felonies....
Last edit: 6 years 6 months ago by KPMegaMan.

More
6 years 6 months ago #32733 by AP23
Thanks for your opinion and encouragement. I really appreciate it. Do you recommend any schools I should rotate at? I have been researching schools and I would like to do a rotation at a school that I actually have a shot at.

More
6 years 6 months ago #32735 by KPMegaMan
I only speak from personal experience because I believe it's the way to give advice. From a military standpoint rotate through 2nd choice 1st to get a warm up experience. Then 1st choice 2nd. Navy has 3 Ortho programs if I recall. You want to get your face out there to all programs. If you don't have time at least coordinate a phone interview. But my experience is phone interviews mean you are not interested. However, you must check the box as we Army people say.

In terms of civilian residency, your home program. Is the best place to start. This gets your feet wet and allow you to ask your Ortho program for a chair letter. This is a must when trying to get into Ortho. All those other programs. I would admit that I am not the best person to ask.

In a nutshell, start at your home school around the June, July time frame. MS4 rotate heavy in August and September. So be ready to have those rotations at military sites set up. Civialian rotations should come after your military rotations because you have more time to complete these and the military match is in December rather than March for civilians.

More
6 years 6 months ago #32740 by bonetrauma2
Not an expert, but driving with a suspended license shouldn't be a problem. I am almost positive that residencies will not run a background check on you so it shouldn't come up at all, they won't even know about it so I wouldn't worry too much about it. Shouldn't hinder your app whatsoever in my opinion. Just an MS4 here.

There is a box on ERAS that asks something about if there is anything that would prevent you from getting a license and I don't believe this would qualify. I know someone with multiple alcohol related charges from their college days and did not check that box and did not have a problem securing a residency and shouldn't prevent him from getting a license.

More
6 years 6 months ago #32746 by AP23
That sounds like a great plan Thanks. I have something similar set up. Currently I have 2 military away rotations scheduled in August and October. I hear letters of recommendation go along way in the military, so I am aiming to earn a letter after my August rotation. I am currently researching which civilian program to rotate at in September. I spoke to the chair of the ortho trauma service at my home school and he said he would write me a letter, so I figure I would try to explore a different program to rotate at.

Moderators: christianOrthoDoc