Have we hurt ourselves? Too many applicants?

• readdoc
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
7 years 2 weeks ago - 7 years 2 weeks ago #31893 by readdoc
Just throwing this out for consideration.

I applied a lot of places -- it seems like everyone else did too.

Most of the programs saying "no thanks" are saying they've had to sort through more than 700 applications.

So are we hurting ourselves by over-applying? By sending every program our applications? Are the programs having to sort through so many applications, it just becomes a blur to them? How can anyone stand out in a field of 700?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
7 years 2 weeks ago - 7 years 2 weeks ago #25971 by Teggie

There are always three speeches, for every one you actually gave. The one you practiced, the one you gave, and the one you wish you gave.

More
7 years 2 weeks ago - 7 years 2 weeks ago #25974 by bonetrauma2
I think it probably hurts everybody in some way or another but certainly causes the most pain to those that out of necessity (i.e. low step, research year, couples match, deficit in application, etc.) must apply to a ton of programs to receive enough interviews to match. I don't believe it causes too much trouble to those with 250+ step scores.

I suppose the redeeming factor is that it is likely the same exact 700 people that are applying to all of these programs and ultimately you can't interview at every program. As more programs offer interviews they will trickle down from those with stellar applications, who have already filled their interview schedules and no longer need to interview at their back-ups, to those with solid stats but that don't stand out in a stack of 700. At least that is what I am hoping...

More
7 years 6 days ago #32001 by Gustilo
Replied by Gustilo on topic Article
www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24836166?rep...abstract&format=text

"The NRMP data from 1984 to 2011 supported our hypothesis that
intercandidate competition intensity for orthopedic PGY1 positions has not
increased over time. The misconception that orthopedics is becoming more
competitive likely arises from the increased number of applications submitted per
candidate and the resulting relative importance placed on objective criteria such
as United States Medical Licensing Examination Step 1 scores when programs select interview cohorts."

More
7 years 6 days ago #32019 by bonetrauma2
Replied by bonetrauma2 on topic Article
Eh, I wouldn't call it a misconception. While the overall number of people applying for positions may not have significantly increased the quality of those candidates and their credentials have certainly improved, making it more difficult to obtain a position, hence more competitive. If you look at charting outcomes in the match from 2011 to 2014 you can see the increase in scores. More people aren't applying because they aren't competitive enough to apply so the number of people in the pool stays the same but the quality of the pool has increased substantially.

Granted, your article stops at 2011 so its really hard to say what has happened in the last 3 years.

More
7 years 6 days ago #32024 by OwnTheBone
Replied by OwnTheBone on topic Away rotations
One way to stand out among 700 applications is to do an away rotation or otherwise have a good reason in your application to seem interested in their program.

I think that when a program gets 700 applicants, the challenge is trying to figure out who actually is interested vs who is applying to every single ortho program

Moderators: christianOrthoDoc