M3 interested in Orthopedics -- Advice appreciated

• Visitor
  • Visitor
8 years 10 months ago - 8 years 10 months ago #25622 by
The most critical component however will be your away rotations and excelling at them to impress programs and get great letters of rec.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 9 months ago #32281 by Teggie
Replied by Teggie on topic .
Why are you concerned? You have a 250, which is good. You may want to consider taking Step 2 right after you finish your rotations so things are fresh and you have a chance to improve your board score before your application is submitted which would look good to schools. Just rack up as many clerkship Honors as possible and you should be fine. Do aways at the schools you mentioned and apply broadly.

There are always three speeches, for every one you actually gave. The one you practiced, the one you gave, and the one you wish you gave.

More
8 years 8 months ago #32515 by bonetrauma2
Replied by bonetrauma2 on topic .
Dude. Calm down, take a deep breath. You are excessively worrying about things that aren't worth worrying about. I know its stressful and competitive but you are overthinking this in my opinion. It really doesn't matter when you rotate with your home program, you will be on a learning curve no matter where you are at but if you are competitive for ortho you should be able to pick it up no problem, you will just need to read more since you didn't have a 3rd year rotation in ortho. All of the things that apply to your surgery clerkship will apply to your ortho sub-Is.

As far as which service to rotate on... most people say trauma because it is where you see the most and get a good feel for what I consider to be the nuts and bolts of ortho since you see a little bit of everything. However, if this guy wants you on his service and wants to write you a letter you should go for it. You have no idea how far a good letter of recommendation goes is this field, especially if he is a fairly well known guy. It seems like on the interview trail all the hand guys know each other, all the trauma guys etc. The letter may be the most important thing you get out of your sub-I with the exception of knowledge and finding out if ortho is right for you. No one knows what services you rotated onwhen you interview unless they ask you and even then it won't matter which ones you were on. I've been on trauma, hand, joints, sports and tumor during my 3 aways. It doesn't matter which service and doesn't change your application one bit. A letter on the other hand does.

Moderators: christianOrthoDoc

Find, Use, Share, Expand Orthopaedic Information

Improving orthopaedic care, education and research using Internet technologies