Low GPA, high board scores

• orthosun1987
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
7 years 10 months ago - 7 years 10 months ago #31590 by orthosun1987
Low GPA, high board scores was created by orthosun1987
I'm a 3rd year and really want to go into Ortho. Due to personal issues, I have a very low GPA (2.3 for the first two years) and failed some classes 2nd year (which I then successfully remediated). I'm on the bottom of my class... I can get a letter from the Dean of my school, but the fact is that my grades suck. I got a 650+ on the COMLEX and am on my 2nd ortho surg elective rotation - both of which went really well.

Will my low GPA completely eliminate me from interview consideration, even if my away rotations are solid? Is there anything I can do to improve my chances or convince programs not to write me off before interviewing me?

I really appreciate any advice or insight. Thanks guys!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
7 years 10 months ago - 7 years 10 months ago #24949 by
Replied by on topic Re: Low GPA, high board scores
There are many programs that will consider you, and there are also many programs that won't consider you. You board scores will be looked at positively however, you will need to kill your rotation and be very well liked. It is very much doable IMO. Find the right programs, just don't go to the programs that like high boards, because they also like high grades, or at the minimal don't want failing grades.

• orthosun1987
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
7 years 10 months ago - 7 years 10 months ago #25091 by orthosun1987
Replied by orthosun1987 on topic Re: Low GPA, high board scores

There are many programs that will consider you, and there are also many programs that won't consider you. You board scores will be looked at positively however, you will need to kill your rotation and be very well liked. It is very much doable IMO. Find the right programs, just don't go to the programs that like high boards, because they also like high grades, or at the minimal don't want failing grades.

Thanks for the feedback, much appreciated. Now what are your thoughts on research improving the chances of getting a residency? I've heard from some people that it's not necessary and programs don't care about it much. But I've also heard the complete opposite.

One last question - do I address my personal reasons for bad grades in my personal statement or interviews (I'm thinking I really don't want to include it in my PS, but people are telling me to)? Or will it sound like I want a pity party? I'm inclined to leave it out as I'm a pretty private person but only talk about it if asked. What are your thoughts?

• Visitor
  • Visitor
7 years 10 months ago - 7 years 10 months ago #25101 by
Replied by on topic Re: Low GPA, high board scores
I was never asked about my research on any interviews except for one, and even then it was more of just a passing comment.

I would address the issues in your interview because you will undoubtedly be asked, unless you were so well liked that interview was just a formality to give you a spot.

Moderators: christianOrthoDocbonefixxxer