Anatomy Fellowship...worth the time?

• chivkeeb
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
8 years 8 months ago - 8 years 8 months ago #31361 by chivkeeb
Anatomy Fellowship...worth the time? was created by chivkeeb
Current first year. I'm considering doing an anatomy fellowship after my 2nd year. How much would that contribute to my residency application? I've read a lot about how the most important thing is rotating somewhere with an Ortho residency, dominating audition rotations, and high board scores. So where would a fellowship fit in? Is it worth the extra year?

Thanks.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
8 years 8 months ago - 8 years 8 months ago #24082 by
I did the anatomy fellowship at my school. I just recently matched into my number 1 so it's hard to say if it was worth it. You may be a student at KCUMB like I am. So monetarily it's worth it, but I don't think that it was the reason I matched. I didn't have stellar board scores and research was at the revision point but I only got asked about it in passing. So most important is your rotation, by far. Fellowship helped with anatomy obviously though. My advice would be to study hard first and second year, if you feel like its something you want to do then do it. But don't feel like its required to get an ortho spot. Hit me up with any other questions you have.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
7 years 8 months ago - 7 years 8 months ago #25354 by
I am a PGY1 gen Surg prelim looking for research fellowships, open to taking as long as is necessary to build strongest application possible (on top of AOA 4th yr, step 1 260s, step 2 270s) prior to applying again for match. Came from MD program.

What is an "anatomy fellowship"? Would I be eligible as an already-MD, or is it just for current med students/DO students at a particular school? Where do I get more info on these?

I figure it may be a good additional "transitional" year if research fellowships this summer/fall fall through. Plus I love anatomy and feel like there's no such thing as too much anatomy studying in orthopedics. Just trying to exhaust all possibilities for what may happen when my current intern year ends...

Any info would be great. PM me if you like.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
7 years 8 months ago - 7 years 8 months ago #25355 by
My fellowship was through our schools anatomy department and is available to students after completing there second or third year of medical school. I'm sure there's research fellowships for every situation such as TRI or yours as well.

Moderators: christianOrthoDocbonefixxxer