Welcome, Guest
  • Page:

TOPIC: Matched....but the program got terminated!

Matched....but the program got terminated! 3 months 3 days ago #36071

Hi all !

I matched into orthopaedic sports fellowship at ASMI (American Sports Medicine Institute), Birmingham, Alabama last April and had been emailing/calling the program since then, in vain. However, last week, received an email letting me know that the program is being terminated.
Seeking counsel, regarding what I should do, from anyone who has been in or heard of a similar situation before.

Thank you.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Matched....but the program got terminated! 2 months 4 weeks ago #36078

• OrthoDoc
  • Thank you received: 3
I would scramble into another sports fellowship somewhere. I'm sure there are a few that didn't fill. An unfortunate circumstance to be in.

Matched....but the program got terminated! 1 week 1 day ago #36200

My name is Glenn Dortch and I am the DIO at the American Sports Medicine Institute (ASMI) which is the Sponsoring Institution for two Orthopaedic Sports Medicine fellowship programs. I am writing to clarify the circumstances regarding what the original poster said in the message above.

There are two separate and independent fellowships under ASMI’s sponsorship.

The ASMI at St. Vincent’s program under the leadership of Program Director Dr. Jeff Dugas and faculty members Dr. Lyle Cain and Dr. Benton Emblom is fully accredited by the ACGME, is fully operational, has no plans to terminate the program, and is currently accepting applications for the 2020-2021 academic year.

The program to which the original poster was referring is the ASMI at Trinity fellowship. It is my understanding that Program Director Dr. Lawrence Lemak recently decided to close his program.

We sincerely regret any inconvenience that the original poster has experienced as a result of this decision.

If you are a PGY-4 resident who is considering whether to apply for the ASMI at St. Vincent’s program in the upcoming interview cycle and have any questions or concerns, please feel free to contact me by e-mail at This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. or by phone at 205-918-2134.

Matched....but the program got terminated! 1 week 1 day ago #36201

Thank you OrthoDoc...been doing that...now applying for 2020..
Last Edit: 1 week 1 day ago by Aaradhana.

Matched....but the program got terminated! 1 week 1 day ago #36202

Hello all - Glenn is correct.

There are actually two programs under the same name (ASMI) and the one where I matched that got terminated 2 months after the match was headed by Dr. Lawrence Lemak. Last month, I was in Birmingham and met Dr. Lemak. He let me know he was terminating the program after it got too much to keep up with the accreditation and he is having an old fellow join the fellowship for 2019.

My bad Glenn - I should have clarified but I hope you understand that I didn't want to name names either..

Matched....but the program got terminated! 1 week 1 day ago #36203

Thank you confirming my comments.

Best wishes as you search for a fellowship home.
  • Page:
Moderators: christian, OrthoDoc