OKU vs AAOS comprehensive review?

• ng08
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
7 years 6 months ago - 7 years 6 months ago #31778 by ng08
I'm looking for a good comprehensive text to read during residency. Thoughts on OKU vs AAOS comprehensive review, or even Campbell's?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
7 years 5 months ago - 7 years 5 months ago #21431 by
So the books are set up in two completely different formats. OKU reads like a textbook so it is definitely an easier read. It has pretty good information in it and the way they do the references is pretty nice - they have the article and then for most of them have a sentence or two that tells what the paper was about/the study. It is certainly not comprehensive if you just get the OKU overall, but if you get the subspecialties then you get much more specific stuff. I think if you are a PGY1-2/3, then it's an excellent place to start. The chapters are usually like 8-15 pages long so pretty easy to finish an entire chapter in one setting.

AAOS COR is arranged in more of an outline format. Definitely a little more detail in the AAOS COR book. Because it's an outline format it does in many placed assume you have some basic knowledge of the subject. It also has top testing facts at the end of the chapters which are nice and online it has like quiz questions which can be good for oite review.

Millers ortho review is a workhorse review in my opinion. It is also an outline type format, so if you can't read in outline format then its tougher. I personally think it's a must have if you're an ortho resident. With regard to test review (which it's not all about tests) I don't think it has a match, but it is a test review type book.

I personally like Wiesel operative techniques over Campbells (which i decided after like the first 1-2 things i read in them both) and haven't really gone back to campbells since.

PM me if you have any other questions man

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Moderators: christianOrthoDoc