PAs

• srs01
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
8 years 7 months ago - 8 years 7 months ago #31442 by srs01
PAs was created by srs01
like to make a quick poll, and ask if this situation is ubiquitous. In my residency (community) we cover around 35-45 surgeons call. We see all their consults, etc. However, majority of them do not work with us. Granted, some we cannot cover due to numbers, but most elect to work with their PA and don't allow residents to operate with them. i.e., we will admit (x) amount of fractures, and a resident is allowed to scrub around (.25x). Do any of you have this experience? anyone else getting booted for PAs even though they cover the attending on call.?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
8 years 7 months ago - 8 years 7 months ago #18430 by
Replied by on topic Re: PAs
Its because the surgeon can bill for his pa as first assist and make enough to pay for the pa over the course of a year and likely make some profit.

If a resident scrubs a case the doc cannot bill for pa.

I am 2 months to go in my fellowship and its one of many reasons that completely piss me off on how resident/fellow education is viewed.

For example in my fellowship about 1/3 of cases i scrub solo and the dept bills for my services with little to no education...the rest of the time i hold stick like a dbag.

Serious regrets after wasting a decade

• Visitor
  • Visitor
8 years 6 months ago - 8 years 6 months ago #24234 by
At my residency program the PAs are far more valuable to the surgeons than the residents are. Productivity and profit are priorities over education so we have surgeons who prefer to use their PAs over residents and often a resident is 2nd assist to a PA.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
8 years 5 months ago - 8 years 5 months ago #24247 by
Sounds like someone needs to honestly answer their ACGME residency review. A site visit might be in order as the only way to rectify the situation.

• srs01
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
8 years 3 months ago - 8 years 3 months ago #13490 by srs01
Replied by srs01 on topic Re: PAs
that will never happen...

everyone is put in the position of either telling the truth or risking 20-35 people's jobs they depend on

rock and a hard place.

• srs01
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
8 years 3 months ago - 8 years 3 months ago #24295 by srs01
Replied by srs01 on topic Re: PAs
they pass consults to us, make us write their scripts, scrub us out of the OR, make our operative schedules, and first assist more often than we do. we here "my PA just knows what I like" "they don't slow me down like you do" etc

Moderators: christianOrthoDoc