STEP III Prior to Starting Intern Year

• ortho6786
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
16 years 2 months ago - 16 years 2 months ago #27260 by ortho6786
STEP III Prior to Starting Intern Year was created by ortho6786
My home state allows me to sit for step 3 after graduating med school and doesn't require me to have any particular # of months of internship completed....being that i matched and am sitting on my butt doing easy rotations, playing golf and going out....enjoying 4th year...would any ortho residents recommend me taking step 3 prior to starting internship...i do have time to study and still enjoy my 4th year plenty...so i guess that answers my own question...take it? thoughts? is it hard and do scores matter as long as u pass?

kimball

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
16 years 1 month ago - 16 years 1 month ago #8726 by
Replied by on topic If you cant think of
If you cant think of better things to do, I would take it,

the saying is 2mo for step 1, 2wks for step 2 and No2 pencil for step 3. Passing is the name of the game and intern year doesnt make step 3 any easier.

BTW any one can take step 3 in their 4th year (just sign up to have your license in CA (no residency req) and when you are ready to moonlight or just get your license, just transfer it over to what ever state you want. My 0.02

• Visitor
  • Visitor
15 years 9 months ago - 15 years 9 months ago #8906 by
Replied by on topic Step 3 is a joke.
Step 3 is a joke. If you got into an ortho residency, you should be able to pass it without even studying. Still, having a couple months of internship will allow you to pick up some of the intangibles that will make the test that much easier. If you have an easy month during intern year, say medicine, ED, radiology, etc. that is a couple months in, that may be your best bet. Also, if you take it during your residency, your program will most likely pay for it. That's money in your pocket.

Moderators: christianOrthoDoc