AO courses

• o-pod
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
17 years 9 months ago - 17 years 9 months ago #26538 by o-pod
AO courses was created by o-pod
Need some straight facts:
There is an AO basic course in fracture management in Minneapolis next weekend and another in October in Little Rock. I've heard great things about them, and as a current R2 would benefit from going. Now, in January there is an AO basic course on the "basic management of operative fractures" in Dallas. The word "operative" is the only difference in the title. Our synthes rep is paying for us to go, and is saying the one in Dallas is the exact same as those in Minne and Little rock. Truth? Gimme some answers old wise ones. The older guys at my program don't seem to know.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
17 years 9 months ago - 17 years 9 months ago #4917 by
Replied by on topic The AO Basic course is
The AO Basic course is an operative course on basic fracture fixation techniques and biomechanics. It was a requirement in my residency. You spend time learning about fracture patterns and how to fix them by pre-operative templating, and following through with your plan. You learn about lag screws, compression plating etc... The basic course is an excellent course for an R2. This is a sawbones course. I would pick the course in a city where you will have the most fun.

I think they are in the process of changing the course name. All you need to do is request the program and compare the two.

www.aona.org/courses/ortho/index.asp

JL

• Visitor
  • Visitor
17 years 9 months ago - 17 years 9 months ago #4920 by
Replied by on topic I went to the course
I went to the course as a PGY-2 last year in Baltimore.

The course is excellent and I highly recommend it.

The OTA has a similar course, but I cannot make any comparisons or recommendations other than that it may be in a better city than Little Rock.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
16 years 10 months ago - 16 years 10 months ago #6769 by
Replied by on topic I am looking for a
I am looking for a comparison between the OTA course and the AO course. I must choose one or the other.

My ortho trauma attending, of course, recommends the OTA course because AO only teaches things that Synthes makes. But OTA teaches all possible basic fixation techniques. Any thoughts?

• Visitor
  • Visitor
16 years 10 months ago - 16 years 10 months ago #6771 by
Replied by on topic AO course is all Synthes.
AO course is all Synthes. However, this is just a basic course for learning fracture fixation techniques. It doesn't really matter whose product you are using. You can apply the techniques with any products out there.

Moderators: christianOrthoDoc