Welcome, Guest

TOPIC: wait list interview dilemma (? for residents)

16 years 9 months ago #31141

• longhornpod
Question as these waiting list interviews come in...

Did anyone match at a place that they were offered 2nd or 3rd wave interviews at? The reason I ask is that I just received an interview offer from a school I would love to check out but in order to do so, I'd have to cancel a school I received a 1st wave interview at. I think that I'd be happier at the place that I just received an interview at but if my chances aren't really realistic at this place, I'd rather not cancel the first interview.

I wish these places would have more than one date. Anyway, if there's anyone who has been through this, please let me know what happened.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Longhornpod- although I did not 16 years 9 months ago #2018

Longhornpod- although I did not match at a program I got a 2nd wave at, I think you should go after the programs you really want. If you interview well, you can really blow them away at interviews and overcome any weakness on paper. I was offered a research spot outside the match last year at a program where I got a second wave, and if I hadnt ranked them in the middle I think I could have matched there anyways. Shoot for the top.

GoCanes, the way the match 16 years 9 months ago #2025

GoCanes, the way the match works (or at least for last year) makes no difference if you rank a program No. 1 or at the bottom of your list, you still have the same chances of matching there, which is why an applicant should rank according to his or her preference and not where they think they can match.
Basically all applicants are "matched" at their first choice (assuming the program also ranked the applicant). If the number of applicants at a particular program exceeds the number of spots available, then those lower on the program's rank list are "matched" into their second choice, and the whole process repeats itself, until everybody is matched (which, of course, doesn't happen in ortho) or all spots are filled.

For Longhorn, I would interview at a place where I think I would have the best chances of matching and then rank according to my preference. I think your decision regarding the 2nd wave interview would also depend on the strength of your application.

Orthopedics- I know how the 16 years 9 months ago #2027

Orthopedics- I know how the match works. What I meant was that I ranked them in the middle, and matched at my first choice, so its impossible to know how they ranked you.

...true...true 16 years 9 months ago #2032

...true...true
Moderators: christian, OrthoDoc