Welcome, Guest

TOPIC: Calling Back Programs

16 years 9 months ago #31067

• exfix
Just wanted to get some opinions on calling programs that you have interviewed and really liked. i.e. should I call my No. 1 choice and tell them that they are No. 1? (Without breaking any rules of course)! Or should I just rank them No. 1, send the generic thank you letters and hope that they know I want to be there? Any help from you guys out there would be great, especially those who have done this.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

One thing I have been 16 years 9 months ago #2014

One thing I have been doing is trying to get a feel for this at the interview by talking to residents. If I am liking the program a lot, I try to ask the residents what they recommend doing if I really want to come there. Some have told me to call the chair several times, others say just the normal thank you is sufficient. So, I would try to contact the residents at your No. 1 and ask them what is the best way to go about it.
I'm just jealous that you know what your No. 1 is! I wish I could figure that out!
:smokin:

At this point, I am 16 years 9 months ago #2015

At this point, I am not contacting any programs. I am not even writing thank you notes. In the end of january, I plan on sending letters to my top programs letting them know what I likes about them and why I will be ranking them in my top 3 or top 5. I will only tell my top choice that they are numer 1 though. I don't know if this is the best way or not, but that is my plan.

Those are both good ideas, 16 years 9 months ago #2019

• exfix
Those are both good ideas, thanks for the input. What exactly is the deal with telling a program they're No. 1, is that legal or against the rules, or everyone does it or what? Who knows all this stuff?

I told my top program 16 years 9 months ago #2020

I told my top program I would be ranking them number one. I think you can tell a program where you will be ranking them, but that they are not allowed to ask you, nor are they allowed to tell you exactly where you are being ranked. This, in theory, should prevent the applicant from being misled.

I'll save the thank you letters for those in family medicine. One of my attendings told me the last thing a surgeon wants is something else to read and to not bother with them.
Moderators: christian, OrthoDoc