Welcome, Guest

TOPIC: Interview Advice: Dig a little deeper

16 years 9 months ago #30621

• hulk
Just a quick lil' piece of advice for those currently in the interviewing process.

CHECK OUT AS MANY OF THE HOSPITALS THAT THE RESIDENTS ROTATE THROUGH AS YOU CAN. Also find out how much time is spent at each.
Why?
Most ortho programs require time in multiple settings. If you only see the posh University hospital, where you may be wined and dined, you may get a drastically inaccurate view of the program, especially if you only spend 2-3 months there each year with the remainder of the time spent in the County hospital.
This is true at some institutions, while the reverse at others.
Some programs interview you in their downtown inner-city trauma center, when in reality 3/4 of your time may be spent in posh community and/or university hospitals.

Take it from someone who dug a little deeper and is happy with the diamond he found in the rough.
Hospital where interview was conducted = county (total time will be 3mos/year), remaining hospitals all decent to upscale facilities.

The administrator has disabled public write access.

Hulk, feel like telling us 16 years 9 months ago #1679

Hulk, feel like telling us the name of this Diamond?

Hulk, give us some names 16 years 9 months ago #1682

Hulk, give us some names of the lumps of coal also. Any specific programs that are going to hide the fact the their main hospital (one the residents spend the most time at) should have been torn down in 1985?

Ortho2003- Sorry, you guyz aren't 16 years 9 months ago #1692

• hulk
Ortho2003- Sorry, you guyz aren't stealin' my diamond, heh-heh-heh.
Actually, my program interviews ~50 people for the 4 spots so those that interview will be strongly encouraged (by me personally) to visit the other hospitals that we rotate through for 9 months each year. For whatever reason we don't transport the interviewees to any other locations which is pretty common for most interviews if the facilities aren't within walking distance. :tired:
Moderators: christian, OrthoDoc