Welcome, Guest

TOPIC: How many interviews to match?

16 years 10 months ago #30361

• collesfx
Now that interviews are coming in, I'm just wondering approximately how many interviews people who matched last year attended. Also, any horror stories of getting a lot of interviews but not matching? thanks...
The administrator has disabled public write access.

When I was applying last 16 years 10 months ago #1555

When I was applying last year, the # going around was 8 interviews equaled a 90% chance of matching. I know people that had 6-8 interviews and didn't match. My advise is go on as many interviews as you possibly can, I went on 13/14 (and matched at one of my 7-13 choices) The way things work out with the match you can't be assured of anything, so keep your interview #'s up.

Hiya, I think the magic number 16 years 10 months ago #1558

• UPittMike
Hiya,

I think the magic number is around 10 but just like Boxer I know of people who didn't match with # of interviews around there. I however kind of went overboard. Went on 21 of 30 some odd interviews and wound up matching at my number one place, but then again . . . you never know. Even if you're a star (I was not), you're still playing odds in this matching game and I just wanted to keep my odds as high as possible.

One should also account for 16 years 10 months ago #1564

One should also account for the fact that different programs have variable number of spots. Having 8 interviews where each program has 6 spots gives you a better shot of matching than 8 interviews where each program has 2 spots.

What about these programs like Lenox Hill and Orlando regional where there are 2 spots/yr... was there a point in even applying to these?

well if you match there 16 years 10 months ago #1565

well if you match there (a program with two residents/yr) i guess you will be glad you applied, ehh? There are several good 2 spot programs, and i think it evens out since they usually interview less than a 3-5 spot program. yeah, it starts costing some $$ when you get over 30 applied programs, but $$ are better than UNMATCHED.....

One additional word of advice 16 years 10 months ago #1566

One additional word of advice about # of interviews vs. matching potential.
Some of the big programs interview tons of people ie/ USC, however only 1-2 people if any match there unless they did a rotation or were students. So now ask yourself as a non-student/non-rotator, "Are there really 10 spots that I'm competing for?"
On the other hand places like Northwestern interview few people but is so highly sought after that only about 50 highly selected/ elite candidates will be interviewed for 10 spots (really 4-5 since about half will come from NWSTN medschool) and those that are students and those that rotate will likely rank it at or near the top. :sick:

And to answer the original question...
My lucky number was 10 interviews (rejected one interview in Nowheresville Ohio).
Matched at #5--> Ortho Co-residents are great...Just gotta get by this Gen Surg year.
Moderators: christian, OrthoDoc