Welcome, Guest
  • Page:

TOPIC: Interview Cocktail Parties

16 years 10 months ago #30177

• bigern
Hey guys,

I was just wondering if anyone out there could give me a feel for these @#$%tail parties that some of the programs offer either the night of or night before the interview. I would think that they would play a fairly large role in allowing those who attend to determine whether or not you "fit" into their program. I mean, my impression of the interview process is that they are supposed to figure out which applicants they would want to hang out with for the next five years (especially the residents, who seem to have a decent amount of pull at most places.) I would think that the @#$%tail party would be the best place for them to make that decision. So my question is how much did past applicants feel like they were "under the gun" during these events, and also, how did the programs take it if you couldn't make it because you had to travel to another interview?

Any input would be helpful because as it is, I don't think I'll be able to make a couple of these due to traveling conflicts, and I'm a bit concerned that it will negatively impact my chances of matching at those places.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

My advice to you is 16 years 10 months ago #1424

My advice to you is to get as drunk as you can and hit on the residents' wives and girlfriends.

OK.. for real, yeah it is a way to determine who fits in, but I never really felt "under the gun". Just hang out and be yourself. Ask questions about the program, lifestyle, time off, time on, etc.... The gathering is usually a very informal prelude or postgame show of the formal interview process. I've said it before and I'll say it again.... RELAX. You don't have to be the life of the party... don't call everyone out on shots of bourbon and keg stands.
Most of the programs don't really care if you were at another interview and could not make the social, but if at all possible I would go.

Good luck.

Most of these pre/post interview 16 years 10 months ago #1426

Most of these pre/post interview things are designed to be a LOW-stress time for you to get to know the residents and vice versa. most of the time people (residents and applicants) showed up in slacks/nice shirts or even jeans for these. I thought it was a good time to get the skinny on the program from the residents and get some ammunition for questions to ask during the interview the next day. try to make as many as you can, but don't stress if you can't make it.

Oh yeah, major no-no
1. don't ever accept a challenge to arm wrestle a drunken attending/chief resident no matter how many people egg you on (MSU kalamazoo post interview christmas party)

did yoiu win or lose? 16 years 10 months ago #1427

did yoiu win or lose?

dont worry, the arm wrestling 16 years 10 months ago #1430

dont worry, the arm wrestling resident graduated last year. Hmm, maybe i will have to continue the tradition?..... so bonejock, i hear that he also put a sandwich in your or something. That guy was known for tons of practical jokes.

What BoneJock didn't tell you 16 years 10 months ago #1499

What BoneJock didn't tell you is that he wussed out on the whole arm wrestling thing! Just kidding man. What's up Latul?
I do warn you though, if you go to the Kalamazoo Chrstmas party, drive yourself so that you can leave when you want. Latul and I got stuck there last year. They do hook you up with a hotel room and a nice dinner during the interview process, so it might be worth it to endure the party.

As BoneJock said, the night before parties are usually really casual. Most of the times it's just interviewees and residents. It lets you get a feel for the guys and the program. I thought that they were some of the most valuable experiences of the whole process. To say it again, RELAX AND BE YOURSELF! We will know if you are trying to be "the cool guy" and your ranking may suffer. The upper level guys have SIGNIFICANT veto powers.

• Page:
Moderators: christian, OrthoDoc