Welcome, Guest

TOPIC: Interview advice from current interns/residents?

16 years 10 months ago #30167

• orthodreamer
Just wondering if the current interns or residents can offer some words of wisdom for us future orthopod hopefuls as we approach the interview season.
Questions to be prepared for? Questions to ask at the interview? Other aspects of interviewing to be prepared for? Travel (hotel, flights, car rental) suggestions? Etc, etc...
Thanks... :smokin:
The administrator has disabled public write access.

OrthoDreamer, there are a bunch 16 years 10 months ago #1419

OrthoDreamer, there are a bunch of posts about interview questions from right after match day, I think a few pages worth, that I think are really helpful. Definitely worth doing a quick search.

But any other advice about 16 years 10 months ago #1420

• orthodreamer
But any other advice about interviews in general? Besides questions.

Above all.... just be yourself. 16 years 10 months ago #1421

Above all.... just be yourself. Don't tell the program director you're interested in a career in academic medicine if you are not. Don't make up research projects you didn't do. Most people have a way of sseeing through BS. Don't be nervous... or at least try not to be.... on the other hand don't be overly confident either. Just cause you got the 275 on step one AOA, all honors,and published as first author in JBJS doesn't guarantee anything. Go to as may interviews as you can and give each program a serious look. I keep hearing about "top tier" and "second tier" programs. You will be well trained anywhere you go.

Just some random thoughts... good luck to all. If anyone is interviewing at UK and needs a place to crash, just speak up.

hmm tips. well for travel i 16 years 10 months ago #1423

hmm tips.
well for travel i had a lot of good luck with priceline.com as far as hotels are concerned. I stayed at several 4 star places for 40-50 bucks. Flights are too variable to risk trying to schedule one wth priceline, especially if you have several interivews in a row on successive days. if you are close to a city that southwest airlines is in then they are always very cheap. Car rentals vary a lot. In one city enterprise might be cheaper, and not in another. I just scheduled most of those with orbitz.com. Obviously be sure to get to the airport early. A few places will even pay for your hotel for you.
when there just be yourself and chill. Only a few interveiws i had were anything but totally laid back.
It does not hurt to do some research on the program/area so that you have something to talk about if the conversatoin gets dry. A good questoin i liked was "what part about your program are you proudest of?" People like to talk about their good points. Dont ask dumb stuff that you could find out on your own just to keep talking.
Moderators: christian, OrthoDoc