Welcome, Guest

TOPIC: Interview Questions

17 years 5 months ago #27514

• bbmf
Before the newly matched orthopods head off, would you all mind listing some of the questions that you were asked during your interview so that the up and coming class can prepare appropriately? Thanks and Congrats to all!
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Typical questions I was asked 17 years 5 months ago #234

Typical questions I was asked on the trail:
1) Why orthopedics?
2) What do you think you can offer to our program? (looking to see if you know about their program)
3) Any research interests? Explain.
4) Basic lifestyle questions-interests outside medicine, hobbies, ect.
5) Very, very few pimping questions.
-Places I interviewed were not Ivory Tower type places. Most were at large institutions but the focus was not on research/academic ortho.

-- what do you do 17 years 5 months ago #236

-- what do you do in your spare time? (was asked this almost everywhere multiple times)

-- so what's this project (research on your app) all about? tell me about it. Some places drilled me and tried to catch me off-guard on my research.
-- Why do you want to come here?
-- at einstein (montefiore) -- they asked me if I captured a member of the Al-Qada (sp?), how far would I push the interrogation if he knew something that would affect lives. Yes I am dead serious.
-- what is your greatest strength? what is your greatest weakness
-- name one instance in your life when you acted as a leader. How about one instance when you were a team player?
-- Who are your heroes? who do you look up to (in medicine and in life)?
-- Your application looks very strong...are there ANY weaknesses in your record? (i'm convinced this was a bait question to test my humility...i'm not AOA, no publications, and 3rd year grades may leave something to be desired)
-- what is your passion in life (don't say medicine or orthopaedics! ....i did and the guy made the nauseous face)
-- i got 4 pimp questions altogether i think.
-- if you could have dinner with anyone, who?
-- one guy asked me where i get my current events and asked me about 2 politicians...i didn't get the answer...
-- DO YOU HAVE ANY QUESTIONS FOR US? -- this was the hardest one...have questions ready!

i'll post more as i remember them.

-- where do you see 17 years 5 months ago #237

-- where do you see yourself in 10 years?
-- why orthopaedics is asked almost everywhere. It's hard to remain passionate about an answer that you give 4-7 times at each interview after the 13th interview...but you have to remain enthusiastic!

Yeah, those are a lot 17 years 5 months ago #240

Yeah, those are a lot of the "basic" questions. very good ones to be ready for also, so I won't echo. The ones that I wanted to add:

1. What sets you apart from the rest of the applicants or why should we chose you? They don't want to hear, "I got great board scores and I'm a hard worker" - so is every one else.
2. What was the last book that you've read? Very popular question. "Harrison's internal medicine" = bad answer.
3. If you could be any [blank] what would you be? The usual "fill-in" is "cell in the body" or "animal." Be creative.

But by all means, be honest, be confident, and be your self. If you lie, you WILL get called on it. Confidence is appealing, arrogance is a turn-off to most people.

when someone asks the question 17 years 5 months ago #243

when someone asks the question "can you tell us a joke?" in a panel interview, try not to have your joke involve anything about testicles!!!! that didn't work well for me!! lots of stunned faces!
Moderators: christian, OrthoDoc