Need Advice- For a reapplicant with special circumstances

• jefits
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
8 years 7 months ago - 8 years 7 months ago #31219 by jefits
Dear Dr. Levine and/or other attendings moderating this forum,

First a little about my story/stats:

I graduated from a top 15 US medical school in 2010.

Step 1: 191- I had an undiagnosed medical condition that severely affected my performance but since I barely passed I couldn’t retake it. I actually expected to get what I got on step 2/3.
Step 2: 233
Step 3: 231

No 3rd year clinical honors due to average shelfs but very good dean
letters due to outstanding clinical evaluations.

4th year: Honored 5 orthopedic rotations including 3 subis.

Volunteer: Built a free orthopedic and physical therapy clinic while in medical school. I did extensive work with the local free clinics in other areas as well.

The first time I applied I got 5 interviews but only 1 outside of the places I rotated. I had no research experience at the time. I did not match but I did get a prelim general surgery spot at my home institution. I reapplied that September but with no early ortho rotations, basically the same application, I didn’t get a single interview.

I decided to dedicate 2 years to research in which I discovered I really love research. A combination of amazing mentoring, great opportunities, and some unique computer skills, allowed me to first author 8 papers, co-author 3 more, (6 to CORR, Spine deformity, 1 JPO, 1 JBJS am, 1 JBJS br, 1 pediatric skeletal radiology), present at AAOS 2012, will present 1 paper and have a poster for another at AAOS 2013, presenting at AAP, and submitted 7 abstracts to POSNA. I now have much better letter of recs and “advocates”.

I realize that many schools just set a filter for step 1 which I won’t get through. I would also like to also do some rotations for the next 1-2 months.

My questions are:
1. What do you think my chances are?
2. Are there schools that I should focus on that don’t have the step 1 filter or may be better at overlooking the filter? I was going to start emailing program directors to at least look at my application but when is a good time to do this? Is it even useful?
3. Are there any residencies that have reputation for considering non-traditional applicants that I could potentially rotate at?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
8 years 7 months ago - 8 years 7 months ago #23207 by
Feel free to email me to my email at This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

thx

wnl

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: christianOrthoDocwnlevineStaff