Welcome, Guest

TOPIC: Most Valuable Textbook throughout residency

11 years 3 weeks ago #29365

• arthroscopicspine
Dear Attending(s),

What book did you use the most throughout residency, that you couldn't have "gone without"?

I know this is kind of a loaded question and that most residents use a combination of books to develop their foundation for orthopaedics, but since one of my graduation gifts was a bookstore giftcard with enough on there for only one textbook, I was wondering what textbook you feel is a "must have" for all ortho residents.

I apologize for posting this in the Med Student section, however since there isn't an "Ask the Attending" section in the Resident forum, I'm hoping med students can benefit from answers to this question as well...

Thanks in advance!

AS

PS I already have Miller's Review (5th ed.) so if you were going to say that one, which textbook would come in at a close second?
The administrator has disabled public write access.

You will not be able 11 years 3 weeks ago #15501

You will not be able to get by for your entire residency with only one textbook, so a more appropriate question is probably "what one orthopaedic book should I have as an intern?" Your list will undoubtedly grow longer as your training progresses.

The ortho books I found most helpful during intern year (in no particular order):
Hoppenfeld's surgical exposures
Handbook of Fractures by Koval
Orthopaedic Knowledge Update 9 (aka OKU 9) (Millers review probably serves the same purpose at this point)
Netter Concise Atlas of Orthopaedic Anatomy (paperback)

P.S. get a handbook/"survival guide" for general surgery issues. Your primary job as an intern is to learn general medical care.

In terms of other books to get along the way you will probably need a reference text (unless you want to rely on your library to have it).

Either Rockwood and Green or Skeletal Trauma and Winters Peds Ortho are good starts.

I also like the Master Techniques series. Concise descriptions of common problems including etiology, hx, with relevant anatomy, dissection tips, and a lot of great pictures.

The long and short of it is you will find what other residents in your program have liked and start adding to your library along the way.

P.S. Don't forget about Synthes points!
The administrator has disabled public write access.
Moderators: christian, OrthoDoc, wnlevine, Staff