Welcome, Guest

TOPIC: No home ortho program

11 years 2 months ago #29305

• orthoapplicant3
I'm applying for orthopaedic residency this upcoming year. I go to a med school that does not have an orthopaedic surgery program. Does this hinder my application significantly? What is the best way to overcome this? How would you recommend finding a "substitute" home ortho program LOR? Thanks!
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: No home ortho program 11 years 2 months ago #15361

I'm applying for orthopaedic residency this upcoming year. I go to a med school that does not have an orthopaedic surgery program. Does this hinder my application significantly? What is the best way to overcome this? How would you recommend finding a "substitute" home ortho program LOR? Thanks!

I too found myself in a similar situation when I was applying for orthopaedic spots. My medical school did not have an ortho residency program (they had orthopaedic surgeons of course). I would think it to be imperative that you have a LOR from your Gen Surg Department Head/Residency director that clearly states your predicament.

I would also try to work with and obtain a LOR from your local hospital's Chief of Orthopaedics.

In terms of whether or not it is a disadvantage not to have a home ortho program, I would argue that it probably is, to a degree. I assume there are not a plethora of students that have gone into ortho from your school. That hurts in the fact that there aren't a lot of programs comfortable with graduates from your school. However, I did find that it was something I could talk about on the interview trail because the idea of no home program seemed hard to fathom for many of the people that interviewed me.

Try to do an away(s) at programs that have accepted grads from your school in the past.

PM me with questions.

Good Luck
The administrator has disabled public write access.
Moderators: christian, OrthoDoc, wnlevine, Staff