Operating Experience

Clinical Experience

Research

Residents

Lifestyle

Overall Experience

Program Review

Staff / Faculty / Chairman
All of the staff I interacted with during my one month rotation were pretty good. They were open to questions and seemed to care about the residency program.
Didactics / Teaching
Overall teaching is good. The weekly fracture conference is very valuable. The R2s are responsible for presenting all the trauma cases and do get pimped quite a bit, but it didn't feel too malignant.
Operating Experience
Comparing this rotation to my other two ortho rotations, I must say, this is where UW is the weakest. I felt that the operative experience was significantly better at other programs. UW has a trauma fellow on each of its three trauma teams. Additionally, there is another trauma fellow who does all the pelvis cases. I felt like the chiefs could operate, but did not operate nearly as much as chiefs at the other programs I rotated at.
Clinic Experience
HMC has extremely busy trauma clinics, but overall not too bad.
Research Opportunities
Outstanding. There are endless opportunities at UW to do research in whatever you want.
Residents
Overall, residents were great to work with. I really enjoyed my team. Residents seemed to get along well with each other. Some of them seem a little burned out.
Lifestyle
Overall the residents seemed pretty happy. Very few residents own houses in Seattle because it is so expensive. R2s work a ton of hours on the trauma service and have a very busy q3 schedule. Also, residents rotate at hospitals all over the city and Seattle can be a difficult city to drive in with traffic.
Location / Housing
Seattle as a city is tough to beat other than the bad traffic. Lots of water and outdoor activities.
Limitations
As I said before, it is fellow heavy, which comes with its downsides. (But comes with its upsides too, and nothing against fellows, I hope to be one someday.)
Overall Rotation Experience / Conclusion
Overall, I learned a lot about ortho on this rotation and really enjoyed it. Med students get to do quite a bit at HMC while on call. For me, the main limitation of this program was poor operative experience due to the fellow heavy environment.

Qualification

I rotated as a medical student at this program
Date of Rotation
JT
Top 100 Reviewer
Report this review Was this review helpful? 2 0

Comments