Clinical Experience 

Research 

Residents 

Lifestyle 

Overall Experience 

Top 10 Program

Program Review

Staff / Faculty / Chairman
Rotated here based on the recommendation of multiple attendings from my home institution. I met the PD Dr. Kuivila and Dr. Goodwin during my rotation who were extremely approachable, down-to-earth, and great to work with - really enjoyed time in the OR with them. I was left speechless by the rotation since this program has best staff you could hope for. Residents spoke very highly of them because they implement feedback from residents in the rotation schedules, etc. Dr. Iannotti is the chair and is a big name in the ortho community and the residents seems to land their #1 picks for fellowships at top places. For what it's worth, it was ranking #2 hospital in US News Rankings and #3 in ortho in 2017. They have you rotate on multiple specialties during the rotation (with staff who are all on the residency committee). Resident education was the priority regardless of what service you are on. I was surprised how early residents learned to operate as primary from intern year, so the operative experience was a big draw for me. Almost never saw a double-scrubbed surgery during my rotation.
Didactics / Teaching
Really strong didactics. The sessions included the usual things like lectures, OITE review, & surgical and arthroscopy skills lab. Multiple attending were always present and sessions looked very well organized. There was also some cool stuff like the arthroscopy simulation machines, etc. The place definitely lives up to its name.
Operating Experience
This is the TOP strength of the program. Residents were primary surgeons very early on (intern doing a primary hip) and I only saw a single double scrubbed case during my rotation which was a call case from what I remember. Even the big name faculty let the residents operate as primary. It was surprising because most the big name programs usually have fellows or multiple residents in the OR, but that was not the case here since fellows are not usually in the same rooms with residents - this was the big plus in my opinion.
Clinic Experience
Clinics were efficient and faculty made it a point to take discuss patients with residents (and rotating students) which was something I was looking for. Residents worked autonomously for most patients, and clinics were in a few locations aside from main campus so you get to see a good mix of patients.
Research Opportunities
CCF is a research powerhouse obviously, but the residents weren't under pressure to publish. Strong support and resources are there if you decide to. There is an optional research year since it is no longer a 6 year program, which you can apparently ask for once you're in the program (there is 1 resident who was doing that). The residents who liked research pumped out a lot of papers and worked with faculty with lots of projects, grants, etc. There are dedicated funds for travel to conferences, and if you get papers accepted you are supported with time off/$ to present at meetings.
Residents
Definitely enjoyed working with the residents here - they looked pretty happy & cohesive, didn't take themselves too seriously and had each other's back. The atmosphere was relaxed and they welcomed rotators. Got the vibe that they definitely had time to do things outside work. They don't have med students all year round since it's associated with the CCF med school and only people who want to do ortho rotate on service. From what I understand, residents play a huge role in the selection process so that's probably why they have a great group that gets along well. Some of the residents were single, some married with kids etc.
Lifestyle
Got the impression that residents really liked the set-up since the program implements their recommendations. Work hours seem to be more heavy as a PGY1-2 and as a result you enjoy better PGY3-5 years. PGY2 is the toughest year in the program. No scut work that I saw. Metro is where they do dedicated trauma rotations, so residents are not overworked on call at main campus. Clinic hours and OR turnover were efficient which is a big plus since they day is not drawn out.
Location / Housing
Cleveland has its advantages/disadvantages. Big draw for me was enough things to do outside work, extremely affordable homes (residents own homes/condos, some lives in downtown), and if you want to start a family you can. Commute is reasonable and short if you decide to live closer to main campus.
Limitations
If you are really want to work on big trauma cases, you will get it at the rotations in Metro so it is not year-round. Dedicated trauma rotations PGY1 through 3. Lots cases that come to the clinic are cold trauma like hip & ankle fx, tib nails, etc. Upside is they have 4 months of elective time which some residents use as a mini-fellowship, international rotations, etc.
Overall Rotation Experience / Conclusion
This place definitely lives up to its reputation. It was really impressive to see a big-name program combine lots of OR time starting intern year with well known faculty, laid-back culture, and an affordable city. Loved the program since it combined the best of everything I was looking for.

Qualification

I rotated as a medical student at this program
Date of Rotation
Was this review helpful to you? 

Comments

Ordering 

Already have an account? or Create an account