Operating Experience

Clinical Experience

Research

Residents

Lifestyle

Overall Experience

Program Review

Staff / Faculty / Chairman
Outstanding faculty, with particular strengths in trauma and spine. Extremely approachable faculty and a collegial environment. The chair, Dr. Marcus, was one of the nicest people I met along the trail. Sports was a weakness in the past, but has since been shored up with the recent additions of fellowship trained sports (Rush) and shoulder and elbow (Jefferson) faculty. Residents consistently get some of the best fellowships in the country (Harborview/Davis trauma, Jefferson spine, HSS joints, Pitt sports in this year's graduating class).
Didactics / Teaching
Excellent - 1 hour conference most mornings at UH on various subspecialty topics were always high quality. In addition, dedicated month of didactics / anatomy with no clinical responsibilities during intern year. Good relationship with vendors for periodic sawbones.
Operating Experience
Operative experience starts from the PGY-2 year. Residents in the OR were consistently better in the OR than other places I rotated. Chief residents are in charge of the VA, Metro (county hospital), and university hospital for 4 months each. Because chiefs get first pick of any cases at these hospitals, it gives them a mini fellowship year that allows them to tailor their operative experience. The downside of this is that junior residents occasionally get bumped from cases, although the volume seems to be sufficient to comfortably accommodate everyone with only occasional double scrubbing.
Clinic Experience
Great autonomy in trauma clinics at Metrohealth, with residents running the show and attendings seeing their own patients and available for questions as needed. Private clinic space in Ahuja looks like a resort.
Research Opportunities
Abundant. 2 residents do an extra year of research after intern year. Great opportunities in biomechanics and basic sciences with one of the top biomedical engineering departments in the country next door. Plenty of opportunities for clinical research, especially in trauma at Metrohealth. Case Western itself is a huge research institution with no shortage of research funding.
Residents
Some of the most laid back and humble residents I have met on the trail who all get along and were very tightly knit. Great to work with, all were very willing to teach.
Lifestyle
Bottom-heavy. Q4-Q5 traditional call at Metro as a junior resident. Night float system at UH which makes for a painful 2 months as a PGY2 but makes life a lot better when you're not on. I've seen better, but I've seen a lot worse too.
Location / Housing
The sticking point for almost everyone I've met along the trail. Cleveland gets a bad rap for being a rust-belt city with bad winters but is actually much better than advertised. Several residents from California who said that weather was tolerable. Cold winters December-April, but great spring, summer, and fall. Lots of development around the city from what I've seen, plenty to do downtown, and unbelievable cost of living (2 bedroom apartments in nice areas go for ~800-900/month). Good food scene, terrible sports teams.
Limitations
Cleveland for most. No team coverage if sports is your thing. Traditional call schedule at metro for 4 months as a PGY-2, 2 months as a PGY-3 (with intern help). Website sucks.
Overall Rotation Experience / Conclusion
Outstanding rotation, easily one of the top residencies in the midwest if not the country, once of the most balanced residency programs anywhere with regards to operative experience, academics, and dedication to teaching. Great training program and stepping stone for a top fellowship. I will be ranking it very highly if not #1 overall.

Qualification

I am a medical student at this school.
Date of Rotation
RL
Report this review Was this review helpful? 0 0

Comments