Review Detail

9.1 6 10
New York August 28, 2007 32882
Columbia

Program Review

Staff / Faculty / Chairman
Even though Dr. Levine has moved into the chair position, he is still very involved with medical student and resident education. Since he became chair, the department has grown immensely (i.e. recruiting some of the top ortho spine surgeons and creating a spine hospital, expanding bench research etc.) and will likely continue on an upward trajectory. In general, the department is small enough were all attending know all residents and most are friendly and supportive, even the big names. The size also facilitates mentor relationships
Didactics / Teaching
A good mix of resident-led and attending-led didactics, for 30 min to an hour most days of the week. Fracture and Indications conferences are definitely a highlight, with multiple attending a at each.
Operating Experience
The structure and size of the department mean attendings know residents and what they're capable of. I think this leads to less time spent proving yourself or feeling out the situation and more time working at the level that promotes your growth. There are fellows but for the most part they run a room with a junior and act as a near-peer teacher which is a great experience.
Clinic Experience
The resident clinic here is a great opportunity for graduated autonomy and to take care of the (often high needs) Washington Heights (often Dominican) community. Yes, it requires patience and Spanish fluency is a huge advantage but it's a great counterbalance to the patients who drive or fly in from afar for the Columbia name.
Research Opportunities
What seems like endless opportunities including bench research with the addition of Thomopoulos. There seems to be a recent effort to be more supportive of resident research and to continue to push for high quality, not just quantity. The peds department also has a research machine (several staff members and a handful of medical students available to help on projects).
Residents
The most cohesive and supportive group I've met after several sub-Is and interviews. A lot of friendships and mentorships across class years.
Lifestyle
Milstein has its inefficiencies though they're actively working on many of them (eg timing turn overs etc). That said, the floor intern and night float systems take a lot of pressure off the rest of the residents and I think the workload is about average for ortho. The pay is solid, though it comes with NYC prices. There are also 20 days of vacation off a year, and most classes make a concerted effort to swap weekend call days so everyone gets a solid 4 weeks (9 days x 4).
Location / Housing
New York isn't for everyone. That said, no matter when you get out for the night or what day of the week you have off, there are restaurants, shows and events to partake in. Many people choose to live outside of Washington Heights and the Upper West Side is only about 25 min by train away.
Limitations
Not many. They do have to rotate in Baltimore twice, but it's at Shock Trauma. There's nothing near comparable in terms of trauma training in New York City
Overall Rotation Experience / Conclusion
My rotation here was the most intense, most instructive and most fun of the 3 I did.

In general, this is a strong and continually improving, tight-knit, supportive program in an attractive location with all of the resources you could ask for.

Qualification

I am a medical student at this school.
Date of Rotation
03/2016
Report this review Was this review helpful? 1 1

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account