Operating Experience

Clinical Experience

Research

Residents

Lifestyle

Overall Experience

Program Review

Staff / Faculty / Chairman
The faculty are fun, talented, and very focused on resident education. There is a good mix of older famous orthopods and young up-and-coming new faculty. Many are former NYU/HJD residents who chose to come back. All are focused on the resident experience. Compared to other programs I rotated at, there was less pimping and a generally lighter atmosphere in the OR, clinic, and all around. At HJD there are PAs and NPs who manage the floor so you can actually go to the OR without being bothered about minor patient issues.
Didactics / Teaching
Incredible didactics one morning each week. There is a mix of fracture conference in which residents present cases from the previous night(s) on call, and faculty-led didactics on specific topics. Residents are expected to have read in advance, and some residents said this could be stressful after a night on call. Dr. Zuckerman (chairman) is present every day, and usually leads one of the sessions each week himself. The questions residents were asked seemed reasonable, and tailored to their level of training (R2s were asked to describe films, whereas R5s were asked about treatment and surgical techniques). These were consistently very well taught, and at a much more sophisticated level than I have seen anywhere else. They were also always directed 100% at residents, so the teaching was actually valuable.
Operating Experience
The operating experience here is by far the best I have seen. R2s get into the OR at least 2-3 times per week, R3s+ are in the OR 4+ days/week. Residents are never double-scrubbed, always 1-on-1 with attendings. R5s frequently operate solo, with attending available but not in room. Fellows never get in the way. From what I saw, the residents were by far more technically adept than their peers at other programs.
Clinic Experience
Clinic is actually not that painful here -- residents run the show. Attendings are available as needed, but residents develop their own plans, do all joint injections, etc. On arthroplasty, clinic was 1x/wk only.
Research Opportunities
It seems like research opportunities abound -- from basic science to multi-center RCTs. There is a research requirement to work on 3 projects, but they also have an NYU/HJD journal (listed on pubmed), so your papers will definitely get published somewhere. There are some rumors that it's hard to be first author on a paper here, but many residents have dozens of publications by the time they graduate.
Residents
The residents were genuinely nice people, fun to hang out with outside the hospital too. I stayed in close touch with my residents after my rotation -- they were great med student advocates, and enjoyed teaching med students. They treated each other well, too.
Lifestyle
This is a work hard (!) play hard program. There are weeks when R2s work >120 hrs/wk, although the hours apparently get much better as an R3-R5. On my rotation the hours were relatively reasonable, typically 4:30am-5:30pm.
Location / Housing
It's NYC!!! And among the NYC programs, this is by far the best location to live, party, etc (Gramercy/East Village). Housing is expensive, but the salary is adequate to live reasonably well in NYC.
Limitations
You'll work hard here, but that's the point, right?
Overall Rotation Experience / Conclusion
Overall I loved this program -- and I loved it more each day/week. The people are fun, the operative training is outstanding, residents get top fellowships in every field, and residents seem very well trained. I think this is the most resident-focused program in NYC.

Qualification

I rotated as a medical student at this program
Date of Rotation
Oct 2012
AW
Top 500 Reviewer
Report this review Was this review helpful? 0 1

Comments