Review Detail

Louisiana
by John Langland     August 16, 2007    
(Updated: March 26, 2017)

Ochsner 2016

Program Review

Staff / Faculty / Chairman
PD- Meyer (Tumor). All around awesome guy that will do anything for the residency program. As someone mentioned he is a master of pimping (in a good way) and is an excellent surgeon/ role model. As a rotating student he knew everything about me before I arrived and was very interactive with me in clinic. This was a pleasant surprise after several other away rotations. Saw him do a proximal humerus replacement in what seemed like 30 minutes. Gives the residents tons of autonomy while in the OR with them. Lots of tumor referrals from all over the state as Ochsner is a very large hospital system.

Joints- Chimento (Chairman), Ochsner, Waddell. Wadell is a former Ochsner resident that recently returned after doing fellowship at HSS. He was great to work with and brings more direct anterior experience to the program as well as complex revisions. Ridiculous amount of joint experience here. Saw 3rd year residents absolutely crushing total knees.

Trauma- Mautner. Not tons of hot trauma here but residents definitely get plenty of trauma experience. Mautner is a master trauma surgeon and really takes the time to teach residents. He does some of the best fracture work I have seen. You will leave here feeling comfortable taking general ortho trauma call.

Hand: Only worked with Sisco-Wise but they have several other hand/upper ext. staff. She runs several rooms each day and has a very busy clinic. Lets the upper level residents fly in the OR.

Sports: Suri, Jones, Montgomery. Cover the new Orleans Saints. If you've ever been to New Orleans the Saints are huugggee and the fact that Ochsner covers them speaks to the quality of Ocsher Orthopedics and the residency program as a whole.

Spine/Peds: Did not spend any time on these services but did meet the staff and they were good people. Residents speak highly of these rotations.
Didactics / Teaching
630 daily conference where the team runs the trauma list from the previous day and then has a didactic conference. Good didactic sessions prepare residents well for the OITE.
Operating Experience
I cannot say enough about the operating experience here. Due to the smaller size of the program you are in the OR from day one, not doing 1-2 years of floor work as some other places. Third year residents were comfortable as a primary surgeon on primary TKA's and the fours and fives were the most competent that I saw anywhere on the trail. I saw a two and a three knock out an IM nail skin to skin sub 20 minutes.

As a 4 and 5 you spend six months at a community hospital about 45 minutes south of New Orleans (housing is provided). You and one other resident are THE orthopedists at the hospital while you are there. You run your own clinic and book your own cases. You are primary surgeon with a PA assisting you on your cases. Like joints? Book more joints cases. Enjoy sports? Do more arthroscopy. I spent one day in Chabert with one of the residents and did several joints as well a pilon fracture (residents cover the operative trauma cases that come through the ED). He also showed me images of a post-op distal femur replacement that he recently did. Yes that's right a distal femur replacement as a resident.

Also doing robotic assisted surgeries here with some of the total joints especially unicompartmental knees. I see this possibly being the wave of the future and I like having the option to train with this as a resident.
Clinic Experience
Clinic is clinic, you will get enough of it. As a four and five you in Chabert you will be running your own clinic often seeing upwards of 40 patients a day and coming up with their treatment plan. You are THE GUY while in Chabert and will be deciding if you will be operating on them or treating them conservatively. You will be ready to go into private practice or pursue fellowship if you train here.
Research Opportunities
This is not a research powerhouse but you will get publications here. Increasing research presence in the past few years and I believe they will get stronger in the coming years in the research department.

Residents
Awesome group of residents that are very tight. Smaller program but doesn't feel too small. Everyone gets along well and seems like they were truly happy to be at work. Seems like the get together pretty regularly outside of work.
Lifestyle
Pretty typical for an orthopedic program. Start early but finish at a reasonable time each day. Life is not dominated by trauma call and it seemed like most residents did have a good life outside work.

Moonlighting in the ED is allowed from 3rd year on and you can work up to two nights a month at about $1000 a shift. Not bad for extra cash flow.
Location / Housing
Lets be honest New Orleans is probably one of the greatest cities in the world. World class music, food, bar scene and culture. Jazz festival, Mardi Gras, French Quarter Festival, Voodoo Festival, Poboy Festival.... the list is endless. There is a parade or festival for everything. Mardi Gras is a hospital holiday ie no scheduled cases. This place gets it. People live and die New Orleans Saints here and it is contagious.
Limitations
Not a research powerhouse but still plenty of research happening here. If you want to make it happen it will happen. Residents have enough publications to obtain solid fellowship positions.
Overall Rotation Experience / Conclusion
I had an excellent rotation here and ranked it very highly due to the reasons above. Operative experience here is ridiculous and is the main reason why this place shines.

Qualification

I rotated as a medical student at this program
Date of Rotation
Was this review helpful to you? 

Comments

Ordering 

Already have an account? or Create an account