Operating Experience

Clinical Experience

Research

Residents

Lifestyle

Overall Experience

Program Review

Staff / Faculty / Chairman
As noted previously, Dr. Gearen has stepped down from the chair position. Dr. Scarborough has been formally made the chair after a national search and interview process. He has certainly hit the ground running, with a continued increase in focus on producing higher quality research while not neglecting the clinical education. He has also been heavily involved in quality initiatives that are being rolled out within the hospital system. We have two new faculty, Dr. Parvataneni, who joins us from prior positions in Boston and Miami. He was fellowship trained in joints at MGH in Boston and received teacher of the year honors while at the University of Miami. Dr. Matthias returns to us after several years in private practice in the Little Rock area. He completed his hand fellowship at the University of Florida prior to entering private practice. Pediatrics is currently being fulfilled by the Arnold Palmer pediatric group in Orlando. They drive up for one day of clinic and one day of OR each week. The attending rotates on a weekly basis. This is a temporary solution as we are actively searching for permanent faculty. There is tremendous room for continued growth in several areas and we are also looking to add to our current faculty in several subspecialties.
Didactics / Teaching
To correct the poster below, didactics are 7-7:50 and are teleconferenced for convenience. All residents now receive iPads (FREE!) upon entering the program and can connect via iPad or from either the hospital or clinic. Microphones are set up in each location to allow for interaction. We are continuing to get improved interaction from faculty, and now have a faculty member present for most lectures. Lectures are shifting to more attending provided lectures, but many are still given by residents. This is neither good, nor bad, as both resident and faculty lectures have benefits.
Operating Experience
Essentially unchanged. We still operate early and often. The 5th year operative experience could be improved, which is still being discussed. That being said, our operative numbers are in the top 25% in the country. You will see a wide variety of pathology and will feel comfortable going directly into practice without a fellowship, if you so choose. The new trauma fellowship is now 1 1/2 years old and has not changed the operative experience of the residents (may have even improved it).
Clinic Experience
No change. Good clinical space. Great nurses that are helpful. We have switched to Epic for inpatient and outpatient. This caused a lot of growing pains and has changed the clinical staff's responsibilities. I expect that this will revert back to nurses preordering xrays and being more helpful, in general, during clinic to speed up the process of seeing a patient. As of right now, we still are somewhat less efficient in clinic than we were when I started. If you are interested, during the sports rotation, you will have the opportunity to interact with the various sports teams and athletes. You will attend athlete clinics and be on the sidelines and locker room for football games. There are other opportunities throughout the year if you are interested.
Research Opportunities
In addition to the standard 1 publishable research project, all residents will do a yearly quality project. These do not need to be overly complex, but is in line with the hospital's push to focus on quality.
Residents
In general, work hard, enjoy hanging out after work together, and pretty laid back. We continue to get essentially the same type of residents year in and year out. The applicant pool is becoming increasingly stronger, pushing our average step scores ever higher. The faculty have made it well known that they are looking nationally for applicants, not just applicants from the southeast, so apply. In my time here, the bar has certainly continued to be raised with regards to quality of people we interview and ultimately accept.
Lifestyle
More flexible time than any other program I interviewed at. There is an ACE rotation your 5th year where you can leave the program (or country) to rotate elsewhere for up to 4 weeks. Many services will have days without a specific clinic or OR to cover, allowing you to see cases on another service and supplement the standard rotations. Healthcare is 100% covered without any cost to you (except in rare situations) as long as you stay in the Shands system. You don't even pay a premium every month in your paycheck. This includes your spouse and children. We receive $8 per night of call including every night you are on night float. The 2nd years frequently have more money than they can use in a year. The upper levels will spend more money than they are given in a year. We do have three "moonlighting" opportunities. The first is our new OrthoCare, which is a minor care after hours orthopedic clinic. The pay is $300 for a 4 hour clinic. Clinics are held 6 days per week (5-9 PM M-F and 9-1 Saturday). The other opportunity that a few people take advantage of is the VA compensation and pension clinic. This pays per veteran seen, so the pay varies based on size of clinic and number of veterans that come to clinic. Finally, you can earn $100 per high school football game covered. Each resident that wants to participate is assigned a high school to cover in conjunction with an athletic trainer. Most teams will have 5-6 home games in one year, most of which are on Friday nights.
Location / Housing
College town of about 100,000. 3 major airports within 2 hour drive of Gainesville and a regional airport in Gainesville (20-30 minute drive depending on where you live). Delta and US Air fly out of Gainesville, with several convenient flights throughout the day on each airline. The beaches are accessible, as is Disney if you have kids. Parking has improved. We now park in a garage for $150 or so for the entire year. It is a 3-5 minute walk to the conference room in the hospital (which is essentially in the operating room).
Limitations
1) Operative experience in 5th year - could be improved. Not bad, just not as good as the early operative experience.
2) Foot/Ankle experience - 1 OR and 1 clinic day per week
3) Peds experience - 1 OR and 1 clinic day per week most weeks, and faculty are adjunct
4) Research - lots of it going on, mostly basic science (top 10 orthopedic NIH program). Many clinical faculty simply not interested in research, making the projects less interesting and more difficult to get started. Typical university IRB roadblocks. You may end up doing research in a field that you are not going into in order to complete your project.
Overall Rotation Experience / Conclusion
I encourage you to compare this program to all of the big name programs across the country with regards to breadth of operative and clinical exposure. I will leave the program fully comfortable with performing nearly any surgery you will see in private practice. I will need to improve my scoping ability, which I think is true of nearly all training programs. I feel comfortable going into every surgery with a plan A, B, and C in case things are different than I expect, if I don't have a particular instrument available, etc... I think that is the ultimate measure of a program. Our attendings are easy to work with and available almost any time of day for questions. I leave without any regrets of coming to this program.

There are lots of great programs out there, and you will become a good orthopedic surgeon no matter where you end up (the ACGME does everything they can to ensure this). Find a place you want to work (both personnel and location), and you will be happy. This will be my final update as I am finishing this year. Good luck to all!

Qualification

I am a current resident of this program.
Date of Rotation
7/2007-7/2012
AB
Report this review Was this review helpful? 2 0

Comments