Clinical Experience 

Research 

Residents 

Lifestyle 

Overall Experience 

Loma Linda Orthopaedic Residency Program

Program Review

Staff / Faculty / Chairman
Overall people that work for LLU are very nice and willing to help.

Staff: Not the strongest part of the program. Many instances when they would lose my information, totally ignore my emails, and at the end of the day would blame me for not having stuff submitted. Not everyone and not all the time. But there is a sense of very poor organization.

Faculty: Variable. Most are very approachable and easy to get along with. There is one that is simply weird. Their knowledge base is solid, but they are not on the tip of newest and most advanced. And also there are just not that many faculty surgeons, even though they are hiring more.
Chairman: The nicest person one can ever meet. A recent addition and a big plus.
PD: Very nice, but I got a feeling it is very hard to figure out what he thinks about you. The word is, he is the one who personally decides the rank list.
Didactics / Teaching
Not very organized or structured. But a few things I really liked. During the second year they go over Rockwood. Residents pre-read a section out of the chapter and once a week one of the staff will sit down with them and they discuss most pertinent information. A very informal approach, but residents seem to like it.
Operating Experience
Probably the biggest strength of the program. I saw a lot of 1:1 in the OR. Some attendings let second year residents do the entire case. But some won't even let close. Overall very solid OR experience, but surprisingly they don't have as much volume as I expected or saw at other places.
While on call residents get 2-5 consults per night and call it "very busy". We never had to take someone to the OR in the middle of the night. In comparison, at other places a busy night meant 20-25 consults per night with a trip to the OR.
Clinic Experience
Same as everywhere else, but again volume was not what I expected. I always heard that LLU has a very high volume, but it was not the case. I saw about 20-30 patients per attending scheduled with a few no-shows. At other places I saw 40-50 patients per attending with also a few no-shows.
Research Opportunities
If you want it, they can probably hook you up with something. Not necessarily your choice though. So definitely, research is not the strength of this program. There is a 3 month research block somewhere in the curriculum, but I am not really sure what they do during that time.
Residents
Also a strength of this program. Very approachable and very nice. The rumor was that everyone in the current intern class has 250+ on step I. Rumor was basically confirmed by the PD, when he mentioned that he believes "intelligence" is the key selection factor.
It was hard to believe working with them, because they all are very down to earth, friendly, supportive, and helpful. Big plus of the program.
Lifestyle
Pretty tough the first 2 years. Then gets betters. The work horse of the program is a first and second year resident. They do all the admissions, discharges, and follow all the patients in the hospital. The 3-5 year residents don't do that. Night float system is nice.
Location / Housing
Housing is very affordable by California standards. But location is not very desirable. Loma Linda is in the middle of nowhere, it is too small and too isolated to do anything. One needs to drive some time to get to the desired activity. But residents don't have time usually. I felt like I would spend 5 years in isolation if I were to match there.
Limitations
The facility is very, very old. The whole system is old.
The sense I got was that the hospital was designed in 50's and built in 60's, and nothing changed since then. Paper documentation for physicians, prehistoric electronic documentation for nurses, another system for imaging (also prehistoric), another system for ED. Consults, daily notes, referrals, all on paper. One of the residents bragged about it, saying that he thinks it is better, because he can write anything he wants. Yeah, I can also type anything I want while others can access it anywhere they want, instantly. And not search for the piece of paper that gets lost all the time, and decode handwriting no one can read.
Another thing that shocked me was that they frequently place a male and a female patient in the same 2 bed patient room, separated by the curtain. I have never seen this before in any hospital.
Overall Rotation Experience / Conclusion
Mixed feelings of disappointment and time wasted. But at the same time I also learned a lot and had a first-hand experience.

Qualification

I rotated as a medical student at this program
Date of Rotation
Was this review helpful to you? 

Comments

Ordering 

Already have an account? or Create an account