Review Detail

Illinois
by John Langland     August 15, 2007    

Top Tier Program

Program Review

Staff / Faculty / Chairman
True leaders in the field, some of the best in the country. Pretty approachable.
Didactics / Teaching
Monday night lectures usually led by residents and moderated by faculty.
Operating Experience
Above average but not a massive selling point of the program.
Clinic Experience
Great facilities. Resident run clinic at Cook Country where they have more autonomy.
Research Opportunities
Research powerhouse! For me this was one of the biggest selling points of the program. Not much more to say except that this is unequivocally one of the best programs in the country for research. Between faculty with dedicated research staff, fellows, and upper level residents, there are always projects to go around.
Residents
Seems like they get along and are all happy for residents. I read in a few different places that this is a “bro-friendly” program but did not personally experience that.
Lifestyle
Chicago is one of the best cities in the world and in my opinion a perfect city for residency.
Location / Housing
Much cheaper than NYC and yet still provides all of the advantages of living in one of the biggest cities in America.
Limitations
Early operative experience and trauma.
Overall Rotation Experience / Conclusion
If you’re interested in being at one of the top programs in the US, this is the program for you. I invite anyone interested to just look at the fellowship placement list on their website.

Qualification

I rotated as a medical student at this program
Date of Rotation
Was this review helpful to you? 

Comments

Ordering 

Already have an account? or Create an account