Ortho Books for Medical Students

• orthoforme
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
19 years 11 months ago - 19 years 11 months ago #31949 by orthoforme
Ortho Books for Medical Students was created by orthoforme
You guys recommend any good ortho books for rotations?

Thanks.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
19 years 11 months ago - 19 years 11 months ago #2374 by
Essentials of Orthopaedic Surgery by Mark Baratz is a decent book for medical students and interns.

The new Handbook of Fractures (supplement to the Rockwood and Green texts) by Kovall and Zuckerman is an excellent book for all students and residents. I don't know of a better handbook.

Surgical Exposures in Orthopaedics by Hoppenfeld is also a book all students and residents should have. As a student, the main pimping material is anatomy so this book will get you ready for your cases.

Good luck

• Visitor
  • Visitor
19 years 11 months ago - 19 years 11 months ago #2384 by
Replied by on topic Are you trying to save
Are you trying to save money or do you want a new libarary?

saver:
1. Fundamentals of Orthopaedics - Brinkler/Miller - The "baby Miller" is comprehensive, but concise enough to get through in a month.
2. Handbook of Fractures - good, but not great; a pocket stuffer

spender:
1 and 2. as above
3. Hoppenfelds exam of the spine and extremities
4. Hoppenfelds surgical exposures - an awesome ortho anatomy text, but seriously folks, it's $200. Learn the exposure the first time you watch and then photocopy imp exposures like the hip.
5. Baratz or Miller

• Visitor
  • Visitor
19 years 11 months ago - 19 years 11 months ago #2385 by
Replied by on topic it has been said on
it has been said on other posts and i agree...

Netter's Concise Atlas of Ortho Anatomy is a must... i plan to use this for the next few year and maybe beyond... it is not complete, but has more than you can hope to memorize at this point.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
19 years 11 months ago - 19 years 11 months ago #2393 by
Replied by on topic i agree...netter's ortho atlas is
i agree...netter's ortho atlas is the 1 book you need. all other books are unnecessary, especially hoppenfeld's surgical exposures, which is $200 down the drain. a fx handbook is good (kovall, zuckerman), but netter's has decent fxs in it as well.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
19 years 11 months ago - 19 years 11 months ago #2395 by
Replied by on topic I have many of the
I have many of the above mentioned books and I agree that the single most important one for a med student is Netter's Concise Atlas of Orthopaedic Anatomy. Hoppenfel'd Physical Examination is slightly overrated since it does not inlcude many of the tests used for sports physicals (for instance, Lachman's for the ACL and O'Brien's for SLAP lesions). My favorite Hoppenfeld book is actually the Orthopaedic Dictionary, which I have at home and reference a lot, but bviously just a reference.

Moderators: christianOrthoDoc