Welcome, Guest

TOPIC: U of Kentucky Trauma Research Fellowship 2020-2021

U of Kentucky Trauma Research Fellowship 2020-2021 3 months 3 weeks ago #38316

Position: Research Internship/Fellowship
Duration: 12-months
Salary: $25-30,000.00 (with health benefits)

This is the well established, long standing research fellowship created by and with Dr. Paul Matuszewski. Dr. Matuszewski is the Director of Orthopaedic Trauma Research at the University of Kentucky. He has successfully mentored many students who have subsequently matched into orthopaedics and authored numerous quality publications.

Unmatched? He understands your pain, having gone through this process himself, and as such dedicates himself to mentoring at least 1 student each year who has not matched. Why? Because he understands that sometimes people "slip through the cracks" or fail to match because of unforeseen circumstances. It's life changing! It's heart breaking! That's why you want to work with someone who knows what you've been through and knows what it takes to match! We have a track record of all fellows (so far) matching and we hope to continue that trend! If you're motivated to work hard, learn and receive mentorship...this is the place for you! See details below:

The Division of Orthopaedic Trauma, University of Kentucky, Department of Orthopaedic Surgery and Sports Medicine is seeking a 4th year US medical students who were unable to match this year who are interested in a yearlong clinical research fellowship/internship designed to help improve their orthopaedic residency application, and develop skills to serve in an academic environment.

The Division serves a busy academic, Level I trauma center, with 5 full time traumatologists performing over 2000 trauma cases per year. We have 5 dedicated full-time staff members for orthopaedic trauma research. We have a strong research program, participating/conducting in numerous local, regional and large multi-centered prospective clinical trials, as well as other prospective/retrospective investigations. To date, we have received over $1Million in funding for trauma research. If chosen, fellows of this program can expect to interact with multiple faculty and have several publications at the conclusion of their fellowship.

Under the direction of Dr. Paul Matuszewski participants will be engaged in daily research endeavors with weekly mentorship meetings.
Research fellows will participate in day-to-day activities involved in ongoing clinical trials and studies at the university, as well as individual projects. The fellow will help submit/draft IRB protocols, gathering of data, basic analysis, writing manuscripts and following up with patients involved in studies. Fellows will have opportunities to work with orthopaedic residents, attendings and fellows on various projects.

The goal of the research fellow will be to improve their research skills, improve their fund of knowledge, develop mentorship relationships/networking and ultimately strengthen their application for orthopaedic residency. Fellows will have the opportunity to participate in daily conferences, educational opportunities, journal clubs, labs, etc. Fellows will be also mentored on letter writers, what to do on away rotations, practice interviews, etc.
Fellows will be allowed to partake in a month-long orthopaedic sub-internships to maximize their chances of matching.

To apply, email your CV, STEP scores (does not need to be official) and a 500-word personal statement to Dr. Paul Matuszewski, at pmatuszewski @ uky . edu (Remove spaces to complete address). If you did not apply to UK for residency, please try to have some of your letters of recommendation forwarded to Dr. Matuszewski.

The deadline for this application is March 21st 2020. Applications will be screened on a rolling basis and as such, early submission is favored. Start time is flexible, with most students starting May/June and fishing May/June of the following year.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

U of Kentucky Trauma Research Fellowship 2020-2021 3 months 3 weeks ago #38318

Update: This years two fellows both matched into Orthopaedic Surgery! That's a 100% match rate! Congratulations!

U of Kentucky Trauma Research Fellowship 2020-2021 3 months 3 weeks ago #38321

My name is Eric Abbenhaus and I am one of the current orthopaedic trauma research fellows hired by Dr. Matuszewski after I didn’t match last year. Obviously, going unmatched is a very tough situation to find yourself in on match day. When I found out I didn’t match, I looked around on orthogate for research positions that would help my chances of matching this year. I came across the position listed by Dr. Matuszewski and was immediately interested because he also did not match the first time around. I figured that someone who had the same experience would understand what my goal was and know how to get it done.

Now that I have spent almost one year as an orthopaedic research fellow for Dr. Matuszewski (and successfully matched along with my co-fellow Gavin), I can say with certainty that this position is exactly what any unmatched applicant needs to help match next year. Dr. Matuszewski is committed to getting his research fellows matched. From the beginning of the year, the focus was on helping us improve our chances of matching by allowing us to make substantial contributions to many projects that were nearing completion (most projects take a long time to complete). One thing to keep in mind is that ERAS applications for the 2021 Match are due in about 6 months. This means that you will want to find a position with research projects that started long before your first day so that you can contribute to (and get your name on) submitted and/or published papers, even if you weren’t around when the project started. This research fellowship has been around for several years now and has many ongoing projects. Before the ERAS deadline I was able to contribute to several papers that have since been published, allowing me to put my name on these papers even though I was not around when the projects started. As a result, I was told many times during this interview season that, “You’ve had the most productive research year I’ve ever seen.”

The amount of research being conducted by Dr. Matuszewski is continuing to grow. Recently, a new permanent member of the research team (a 2nd research coordinator) was hired to help coordinate the many different ongoing projects. This shows how many different projects you will be involved with (and therefore be able to include in your ERAS CV).

On top of the things you will add to your CV, you will learn a lot about the different aspects of research. After this year, I feel confident that I can take a project from beginning to end. I have been involved with every step needed to start and finish a research project, from designing the protocol and obtaining IRB approval to writing manuscripts and submitting to journals. This position will allow you to learn an incredible amount about research, setting you up to continue to conduct research independently.

Dr. Matuszewski is an amazing mentor who understands exactly what it feels like to go unmatched. He is focused on providing great mentorship and guiding his research fellows towards a successful match. He has now hired 4 unmatched applicants into this position, and is 4/4 in helping get them matched. If you are an unmatched applicant who wants to match next year, I highly recommend this position.

You can contact me at This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. if you have any questions or would like to further discuss this position. Instructions for applying for this position are listed in Dr. Matuszewski's post above.

U of Kentucky Trauma Research Fellowship 2020-2021 3 months 3 weeks ago #38322

One of the current research fellows asked to post this on the thread.. he's offered his contact information if you want to talk about the experience!

See below:

"My name is Eric Abbenhaus and I am one of the current orthopaedic trauma research fellows hired by Dr. Matuszewski after I didn’t match last year. Obviously, going unmatched is a very tough situation to find yourself in on match day. When I found out I didn’t match, I looked around on orthogate for research positions that would help my chances of matching this year. I came across the position listed by Dr. Matuszewski and was immediately interested because he also did not match the first time around. I figured that someone who had the same experience would understand what my goal was and know how to get it done.

Now that I have spent almost one year as an orthopaedic research fellow for Dr. Matuszewski (and successfully matched along with my co-fellow Gavin), I can say with certainty that this position is exactly what any unmatched applicant needs to help match next year. Dr. Matuszewski is committed to getting his research fellows matched. From the beginning of the year, the focus was on helping us improve our chances of matching by allowing us to make substantial contributions to many projects that were nearing completion (most projects take a long time to complete). One thing to keep in mind is that ERAS applications for the 2021 Match are due in about 6 months. This means that you will want to find a position with research projects that started long before your first day so that you can contribute to (and get your name on) submitted and/or published papers, even if you weren’t around when the project started. This research fellowship has been around for several years now and has many ongoing projects. Before the ERAS deadline I was able to contribute to several papers that have since been published, allowing me to put my name on these papers even though I was not around when the projects started. As a result, I was told many times during this interview season that, “You’ve had the most productive research year I’ve ever seen.”

The amount of research being conducted by Dr. Matuszewski is continuing to grow. Recently, a new permanent member of the research team (a 2nd research coordinator) was hired to help coordinate the many different ongoing projects. This shows how many different projects you will be involved with (and therefore be able to include in your ERAS CV).

On top of the things you will add to your CV, you will learn a lot about the different aspects of research. After this year, I feel confident that I can take a project from beginning to end. I have been involved with every step needed to start and finish a research project, from designing the protocol and obtaining IRB approval to writing manuscripts and submitting to journals. This position will allow you to learn an incredible amount about research, setting you up to continue to conduct research independently.

Dr. Matuszewski is an amazing mentor who understands exactly what it feels like to go unmatched. He is focused on providing great mentorship and guiding his research fellows towards a successful match. He has now hired 4 unmatched applicants into this position, and is 4/4 in helping get them matched. If you are an unmatched applicant who wants to match next year, I highly recommend this position.

You can contact me at This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. if you have any questions or would like to further discuss this position. Instructions for applying for this position are listed in Dr. Matuszewski's post above."

U of Kentucky Trauma Research Fellowship 2020-2021 3 months 3 weeks ago #38337

Hey, I’m Gavin Hautala and I am the one of the current orthopaedic trauma research fellows at the University of Kentucky. Last year, I found this position on this website after finding out that I did not obtain an orthopaedic surgery residency position. I was devasted but focused on finding the best opportunity possible to improve myself and my application before reapplying in September. This opportunity came from Lexington, Kentucky with the mentorship of Dr. Matuszewski. Shortly after not matching and getting this position, words can’t describe how excited I was to have a mentor who knew exactly what being unmatched feels like.

I won’t restate everything that Eric has said in the above post, but I will give my summary of the fellowship. As research fellows, our goal was to match. Dr. Matuszewski is passionate about helping his fellows and has provided the foundation for us to improve our chances.

In terms of prospective projects, you will start at fracture conference daily to see the consults from the night prior. You will screen patients based on inclusion/exclusion criteria and approach to gauge their interest in participating. You will also be in charge of all aspects of IRB applications, tracking and following up with patients, and many other regulatory duties. While these won’t be on your application, these are skills that I believe are important and will take with me for my career. Paul Stringer, the orthopaedic trauma research coordinator, has the knowledge to teach you the vital aspects of research, including administration, funding, and regulatory steps. You will also work with April Smith, a recently hired research coordinator. This speaks to the volume of research and how its quickly expanding.

In terms of retrospective projects, there are many that you will work on and finish before the September deadline for ERAS application submission. This fellowship teaches you how to review the literature, write/edit the manuscript drafts (and subsequently improve them after other authors edit), and submit the final projects for publication. These projects range from chart reviews to new surgical techniques.

Many interviewers on the trail were impressed by the breadth and depth of how involved this fellowship requires you to be on the projects. It will seem like a lot at first, but you will be able to take a project start to finish, coordinate projects with other orthopaedic departments, and better understand how to ask (and answer) clinical questions through research.

I believe this research fellowship speaks for itself with the 100% match rate for unmatched applicants and provides incredible career-changing knowledge and opportunities.

Please contact me at This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. with any questions and best of luck!

U of Kentucky Trauma Research Fellowship 2020-2021 3 months 3 weeks ago #38340

This position has been filled. Thank you for all of your interest.
Moderators: christian, OrthoDoc