Welcome, Guest

TOPIC: Hospital for Special Surgery - Research Fellowship

Hospital for Special Surgery - Research Fellowship 4 months 1 week ago #38293

Dr. Jonathan Deland and Dr. Scott Ellis at Hospital for Special Surgery, Foot and Ankle Service, are looking for a full-time research assistant to start as early as June.

This is a full-time, year-long, paid position that involves coordinating, organizing, and executing numerous clinical research projects. There are ample opportunities to lead or co-author manuscripts and presentations, and to present at conferences. Other aspects of the job include registry data management, research design and implementation, literature searches, and managing IRB submissions. The majority of the research we do is centered around total ankle replacement for ankle arthritis, bunion correction, and flatfoot reconstruction.

This position has been held by both pre-meds and medical students in the past, and as a medical student, you have the additional benefit of being able to scrub into cases and see patients in clinic. We have a longstanding tradition of having medical students here for a research year, and would like to continue this professional relationship. Dr. Deland and Dr. Ellis are looking for one medical student who is motivated and willing to work hard, and
this job would be best for someone interested in orthopaedic surgery.

My personal experience this year has been incredible. The department is absolutely dedicated to research, and will do everything to help you turn your own ideas into impactful projects. Not only have I worked closely with both Dr. Deland and Dr. Ellis, but I’ve had projects with every one of the ten orthopaedic Foot and Ankle surgeons in the department as well as the three Fellows, all of whom are incredible mentors. Educationally, this year has been like a mini foot and ankle fellowship – you will learn more about the foot and ankle than you can possibly imagine.

Dr. Jonathan Deland founded the Foot and Ankle service at HSS, and Dr. Scott Ellis is the President of the Orthopaedic Foot and Ankle Foundation of AOFAS. They are both extremely well-connected around the country, and they’ve been incredibly helpful in my own application process. We have a strong track record of research assistants who have all published extensively and gone onto match in competitive allopathic orthopaedic programs. The OR experience is also worth mentioning; unless I am busy with research, I generally spend all day Fridays scrubbed in the OR with Dr. Ellis, with additional cases scattered throughout the week. This is a great educational experience at this level.

If you are looking for an exceptional, well-rounded research year to jumpstart your career into orthopaedics, we invite you to apply.

Qualifications
• Finished 3rd year and taking a research gap year before 4th year
• Strong track record of academic achievement
• Proven record of leadership through extracurricular activities or work
• Ability to work collaboratively and effectively on a team
Last Edit: 3 months 2 weeks ago by Hospital for Special Surgery Foot and Ankle.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Hospital for Special Surgery - Research Fellowship 3 months 2 weeks ago #38338

Thank you, position has been filled.
The administrator has disabled public write access.
Moderators: christian, OrthoDoc