Sub-I advice

More
6 years 8 months ago #32545 by Teggie
Replied by Teggie on topic Sub-I advice
October is not too late for a program you want to go to. It is too late for a letter, so it will help you nowhere besides that program. As for no spots at a program until October, that seems crazy given that it's still January. Have you called the program coordinator? They should be able to let you know what the odds of getting an earlier spot would be.

If you do 3 aways before apps are do you will have at least 2 home letters (chair and a close attending) and hopefully 1 from each away. If you had good rapport with multiple attendings you can ask for multiple letters at an away, but generally you would not submit two away letters to a program besides that program to demonstrate that you got along well with multiple attendings.

I would not tell an attending ahead of time. They all know the deal, just make sure they will be around your last week with them and ask if they have time to meet with you (when you can give them a CV and personal statement) and review your rotation. They will get the hint and expect you to ask for a letter. Beware that some attendings may say no (supposedly) if they don't feel they can write you a good letter. I would recommend asking specifically for a "strong letter of rec" in the meeting.

There are always three speeches, for every one you actually gave. The one you practiced, the one you gave, and the one you wish you gave.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: christianOrthoDoc