University of Tennessee - Campbell Clinic

• medicineman
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
15 years 2 months ago - 15 years 2 months ago #27946 by medicineman
University of Tennessee - Campbell Clinic was created by medicineman
Just wanted to get some inside info from anyone who has rotated or is a resident at UT-Campbell Clinic. I am applying to do an away rotation with this program, and I just wanted to be as up to date as possible in case there are openings.

What is this program like? Average USLME Step 1 score? Average number of cases per resident? Things of that nature. If you are a resident there, how do you like living in Memphis? How is the access to outdoors activities in the area (biking, climbing, hiking, fishing, etc)?

Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
15 years 2 months ago - 15 years 2 months ago #11635 by
Replied by on topic Let me preface this by
Let me preface this by saying I am not a resident there nor did I rotate there but I interviewed there and a few of the faculty at my program did their residency there. This is a fantastic program. I would say the training is second to none as far becoming a competent surgeon. You do your trauma training at the Med, the third or fourth busiest orthopedic hospital in the nation (or so they told us). The rest of your time is with the private sector in Campbell's many centers throughout Memphis and even in Northern Mississippi. The hours when you're not on Trauma are WONDERFUL, but as with most programs, Trauma is rough. The PGY-2s are 24-on 24-off for 6 months, 3 of those where your get to be in the OR, and 3 where you're in the ER. To be perfectly honest, I'm not sure what the academic portion of this school is like, but with names like Canale and Beatty I don't know how you can go wrong. The program seems like a "Boy's Club." They have 50 residents all of whom are men. One of the residents told us at an interview that they had a girl drop out a few years ago and now they're hesitant to take one.

My big beef with it was Memphis. It seemed like everyone there either has gotten their homes broken into or knows someone who has recently. With a young wife, I was just hesitant to bring her there.

The faculty at my program think it is the best program in the nation and highly recommended it to me. It would've been #1 on my list if it weren't in Memphis. I hope this helps...

• medicineman
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
15 years 2 months ago - 15 years 2 months ago #11638 by medicineman
Replied by medicineman on topic Thanks a lot for the
Thanks a lot for the info. I'm sending all of my information in this week. I've been in contact with Becky Adams, who's the ortho contact there. Hopefully, I'll be there for the Sept 24-Oct 19 time slot. We shall see. Much appreciation for the insight.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
15 years 2 months ago - 15 years 2 months ago #11639 by
Replied by on topic i would agree w/ everything
i would agree w/ everything orthoguy said. i am neither a resident there or rotated there, but i did interview there as well. i will also add that the campbell clinic itself is amazing and its location in germantown seemed to be a nicer part of memphis...for what it's worth. another selling point is when you are at the clinic you learn some of the business side of orthopaedics by working in the private setting. they have all the subspecialties covered and i think they said they were doing away w/ the rotation in mississippi. elvis presley trauma center or the med was an experience. one possible downside is that there are clinics located throughout memphis and you might be doing some driving.

everybody i interacted w/ was very personable. definitely an all boys club feel to it...i felt sorry for the one female applicant that was interviewing that day. the interview was fun, especially the manual skills room. another big bonus was all the perks the residents get...tons of free books, i think a computer or pda, etc. medical librarians to pull articles and photographers to take pictures for you for presentations....pretty impressive stuff.

overall i thought it would be a great place to train, it ended up high on the list. hope this helps.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
15 years 2 months ago - 15 years 2 months ago #11641 by
Replied by on topic I have rotated through Campbell's
I have rotated through Campbell's Clinic and would echo the above posts. I'm in school at Univ of TN and the ortho department definitely has their act together. The rotation is set up however you want it. Students are not required to take call but of course it's not discouraged. If you choose to, you'll be at the MED for your call. Definitely trauma heavy but if the guys get to know you well enough, you'll get to drill some pins, pop some hips and shoulders back in, etc. For every week of your rotation, you can choose (in advance) a different faculty to follow. Azar is the program director and is very approachable. Beatty is likewise an extremely nice guy. I would do a week of peds, sports, joints, and tumor or something along those lines. Becky knows which docs sit on the admissions board if you would rather rotate with one of them. The boys club feel is definitely present. A female was given a spot 2 or 3 years back and left after her first year to do peds. I think it left a bad taste in the mouths of a few faculty. Memphis is definitely not a utopia but the residents are treated extremely well. Campbell's took 2 students from UT, and while I won't comment specifically on their board scores, they both were quite competitive. Time b/w Germantown and downtown about 20-25 minutes. You'll do quite a bit of back and forth. People say the downside is Memphis. It is a rough city but this program wouldn't be as good as it is if everyone didn't like to shoot and stab one another. It's not as bad as everyone makes it out to be. Feel free to ask if you have any other questions.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
15 years 1 month ago - 15 years 1 month ago #11661 by
Replied by on topic I am an intern (for
I am an intern (for about two more weeks) at the Campbell Clinic and wanted to comment on a few things and get into some more detail for everyone. First, I just want to address the original poster's questions.

What is this program like?
I think the program is a unique mix of inner city, urban, Level I trauma center type experiences mixed with real-world private Ortho as well. This was one of the qualities that I was most drawn to. Our residents are very outgoing, hard-working guys. Very blue-collar work ethic underlying a more white collar atmosphere. I think the program's reputation speaks for itself and the stability of the faculty is unmatched, as staff turnover is a rarity from my experience, unlike many residency programs. All in all, a very well rounded program with great technical training and good people around to lead you through.

Average USLME Step 1 score?
I don't know the answer to this. But I know that I got a 229- very pedestrian by Ortho standards- and I'm here. That being said, I'm sure mine is below that average. Most of our guys are AOA, but definitely not all. I wasn't and I know at lead one other intern of ours who wasn't either.

Average number of cases per resident?
Don't know that numbers, but cases are ample. As busy as all of the services are, if you happen to have an attending out of town that you are working with, there are cases, mostly at the outside suburban hospitals that go uncovered. Our chiefs are ready to be technically gifted surgeons when they finish.

If you are a resident there, how do you like living in Memphis?
Memphis can be rough, so you need to talk with the residents and find the good places to live. There is no denying that these concerns are real. I personally had reservations for these reasons, but we have found a place we like outside of the city that is very quiet and that we feel safe in. More than anything, you just need to use common sense and get to know the areas to avoid.

How is the access to outdoors activities in the area (biking, climbing, hiking, fishing, etc)?
Couldn't tell you, as I'm a Midwesterner who would rather play golf or work in my yard that go duck hunting and fishing. That being said, there are a million conversations that I overhear from people doing those exact activities.

I'll have more later, but gotta run for now. Any more questions, I'll be happy to honestly answer, either here or in a PM.

rwbrhp29

Moderators: christianOrthoDoc