Welcome, Guest

TOPIC: Taking Spanish or doing research?

17 years 3 days ago #29569

• orthodoc
inca999
Unregistered User
(9/6/00 12:35:49 am)
research questions

Hey all,

I've been reading this forum, it's been very helpful so far. Currently, I'm a second-year med student and
I'm focused on orthopedics. I'm doing well, honors and a couple of high passes and usually do pretty
well on standardized tests, so I'm confident I'll do okay on the boards. My question is that everyone is
mentioning research, research, research. Well, I hate research -- I did a bunch of it in college as a
molecular cell bio major and couldn't handle the slow pace and tediousness of it all.

Instead of doing research, I was thinking of taking a couple college courses (our med school lets you
take courses at the university for free) in Spanish and get as good as possible in it in the next two
years. I don't know any Spanish at this point. That'd be more worthwhile to me than forcing myself to
do some research for the sole reason of boosting my application. What's your thoughts on the relative
strength of this vs. some research under my belt.

Secondly, how honest should I be in my interviews about this? My instinct is to be pretty honest and let
em know I took some courses and did something productive with my time instead of doing research, so
they see I'm not a slacker.

Thoughts?
Jose
Unregistered User
(9/9/00 12:19:56 pm)
thought

hispanics are the fastest growing minority in the us...
CS
(9/11/00 10:22:43 am)
research vs Spanish

Although Spanish is certainly a useful thing to any doc, remember that most surgical research is clinical,
not bench. The thought of sitting in a lab doing gel runs or whatever would bore me to tears too, you
can do all sorts of neat little interesting other kinds of projects. Talk to the orthopedists (NOT the PhDs)
in the department - many have fully formed ideas that just need some labor (yours) to result in a poster
or presentation. Also think about stuff in anesthesiology or radiology. I did a retrospective radiographic
study of the results following a not terribly common pediatric orthopedic surgical procedure. Although it's
not Nature or Cell quality research (so the MD/PhDs will laugh at my N=13), I learned how to measure
the acetabular angle, look for Rissers sign, know what a broken teardrop looks like etc. Plus I got a free
trip to Florida, a nice rec and got to meet a bunch of the residents who are now the chiefs when I'm
doing electives.
Don't do stuff that bores you - displaying ennui will not serve you well - but try to find a project with a
beginning and an end (often this means retrospective) where you can learn something and that increases
your interest in ortho and makes you some contacts. Pero debe estudiar espanol tambien!
The administrator has disabled public write access.
Moderators: christian, OrthoDoc