TOPIC: MS3 needs advice?

17 years 6 months ago #29059

• orthodoc
dave2332
Unregistered User
(7/31/00 8:08:26 pm)
Reply MS3 considering ortho.... help!

Hello,

I just started my 3rd year at one of the UTexas schools. I know it might be a bit early to start thinking about careers, but I am seriously considering applying for ortho. I did a summer rotation b/w 1st and 2nd yr in ortho along with a little research and thought it was awesome. Of course, I don't have experience in anything else, but so far I don't see any down side to ortho at all. I really dig it.

I could really use some advice for the next year+ to point me in the right direction with regards to ortho and what I should do. I mean, I am honestly pretty clueless about what I should do to maximize my chances of matching.

My grades are pretty solid, probably near the AOA cutoff of 10% of class... so I am not sure if I will be elected to that esteemed group, but I think I have a 50/50 shot. I just got a 252 on the boards. I have minimal research in ortho w/o a pubs yet.

Again, any advice would be very appreciated. Thanks!

orthoresid
Unregistered User
(8/8/00 8:27:30 am)
Reply Re: MS3 considering ortho.... help!
Your academic record and board scores sound pretty good. I would make sure you kick but during your third year in each rotation to maximize your grades and AOA potential. Make sure you do really well on the ortho and surgical rotations. From there, you just need to organize your fourth year to get the ortho rotations first to get the letters early. If possible, you should join in on some worthwhile research project to help in. The project should be one that you can get your name on a paper. Good luck!!

================================================
The administrator has disabled public write access.
Moderators: christian, OrthoDoc