Help on Sports Fellowships

• ortho8011
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
16 years 11 months ago - 16 years 11 months ago #27343 by ortho8011
Help on Sports Fellowships was created by ortho8011
Applying for 2008 sports fellowships: Have questions
1) How early should I apply since there is no match?
2) How many applications do most people send out?
3) Safety programs, or just scramble around if I don't get my top ten or so?
4) Can you help with advice on any of these programs, with the knowledge that I'm looking for a clinical fellowship with little to no interest in being in academia afterwards. Please include any crappy reviews as well as glowing ones:
Baylor in Houston Tx
Boston U
Georgetown Nirshl
Harvard
HSS
Kerlan-Jobe
Lenox Hill
Methodist Indy
NYU/HJD
Rush
Virginia Richmond
SCOI
U of Arizona
U of Chicago
U of Illinois-Chicago
U of Conn.
UMass
U of New Mexico
Wash U

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
16 years 11 months ago - 16 years 11 months ago #8812 by
Replied by on topic OldSouth, I'm a 4th year resident
OldSouth,

I'm a 4th year resident who just took a fellowship at the Cleveland Clinic, so I'm just fresh out of the process.

No. 1 - Word on the street has it that there will be a match this year. Apparently the people applying for 2008 fellowships will be the first to be required to do an ACCREDITED fellowship in order to sit for the CAQ exam (Certificate of Added Qualifications). My class and those before us get grandfathered in. I've heard from people on the inside (including one person who sits on the Board) that having the CAQ should force people to comply with the match (i.e. if you don't participate in the match, your fellowship won't be ACGME accredited and thus your fellows won't be able to sit for the CAQ). Hand is the only other fellowship that has a CAQ. Ironically, they're the only ones with a match also.

#2 - I didn't interview at any place on your list (I had interviews scheduled at a few, but took an early offer).

- Rush is generally considered to be one of the best sports fellowships around.

- SCOI is a great clinical fellowship. One of our chiefs went out there a few years back and had a great time. Very diverse fellowship. You'll get your share of Shoulder, Elbow, knee and even foot/ankle. I turned down my interview offer because team coverage was not really a part of the fellowship program. Sounds like this might appeal to you. So I would look into it.

I gave a review of the places that I interviewed at on a thread not too long ago. You can look that up to see what I thought of Pitt, CCF, U of Kentucky and Duke.

Let me know if I can tell you any thing else.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
16 years 11 months ago - 16 years 11 months ago #8826 by
Replied by on topic hey, i was also wondering about
hey,

i was also wondering about programs in California.
what's the word on Kerlan Jobe, SCOI, USC, San Diego Sports with Tasto?
I know Kerlan Jobe has historically been the strongest in LA, is that still the case?
Also any thoughts about the Jim Andrews fellowship and Noyes in Cincinnati?

thanks in advance.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
16 years 11 months ago - 16 years 11 months ago #8833 by
Replied by on topic sports
orthoplayer - fyi - i pm'ed you with a comment.

Moderators: christianOrthoDoc