six-month fellowships - question

• ortho6451
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
17 years 3 months ago - 17 years 3 months ago #27182 by ortho6451
six-month fellowships - question was created by ortho6451
I am the spouse of a PGY-3. We are looking into fellowships now and I am confused about these 6-month fellowships I have heard about. What is the deal with these? Are they accredited the same way a regular one-year fellowship is?

Also - Can anyone suggest any resources where I can find some information on what fellowships are out there? (joints, hand, sports - in no particular order)

Thanks.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
17 years 3 months ago - 17 years 3 months ago #8083 by
Replied by on topic You can search a list
You can search a list of sports fellowships on the AOSSM site at:
www.sportsmed.org/fellowships/index.asp

• Visitor
  • Visitor
17 years 3 months ago - 17 years 3 months ago #8086 by
Replied by on topic If you're looking at sports
If you're looking at sports med, the AOSSM site is good to find sports medicine fellowships.

There is a book put out published by the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgery (AAOS). It lists ALL of the fellowships that are out there in every Orthopaedic Surgery subspecialty. It also says if they are accredited or not. You can find that book on the AAOS website ( www.aaos.org ). Look under publications. Your husband is a resident member (as we all are when we enter an orthopaedic residency), so he can get the resident discount on the book.

As for doing a 6-month fellowship. . . .in Sports medicine, all accredited fellowships are 12 months. Depending on what your husband's eventual goals are, being accredited is important for hand, and will be inportant for sports medicine starting next year. I don't think it matters much for the rest of the subspecialties.

Hope this helps.

• ortho6451
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
17 years 3 months ago - 17 years 3 months ago #8093 by ortho6451
Replied by ortho6451 on topic Thanks to both of you
Thanks to both of you for the info. I checked out the site and will look into the book.
Right now, I am not sure I see the value of the six-month fellowship, although ultimately I suppose it just depends on your situation. Maybe this book will give me some guidance on that.

One more thing - Do most fellows have a contract? (I read somewhere on this list about someone who did not sign a contract and I wasn't sure what the standard is.) And if there is one, when would it be signed? Will a contract be offered or will my spouse need to request one?

Thanks again.

Moderators: christianOrthoDoc
Time to create page: 0.250 seconds

Find, Use, Share, Expand Orthopaedic Information

Improving orthopaedic care, education and research using Internet technologies